• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trunk mat for 72 Charger?

JR_Charger

Local time
3:07 PM
Reaction score
I'm seeing a lot of mats that say "no-rise trunk," and it looks like they go to the axle hump and stop. The mat that came with my Charger went all the way to the divider. Where can I get that one?

edit - I'm also seeing the non-raised specifically for 74 - Link

Was there really a trunk change for 74 that would require a different mat?

FWIW, there's this black carpet kit, which I doubt is period correct - link

I'm not immediately sure where all those pieces go, but it's out there and perhaps suitable for those wanting a modern look.

Last edited:
74 used a different gas tank that required a large hump on the truck floor thus a different mat. 71-73 were the same. The carpet kit was part of the SE package and I think optional in others.

Good grief, did the Charger get a different gas tank every year?!

I'm surprised to hear the carpet kit is original. I've seen the cardboard dress up kit and thought that was as "good" as it got. Has anyone got a pic of a carpetted trunk? I will consider the carpet kit if it is original and the vinyl mat is unavailable (or similarly priced). For example here is a vinyl mat - Link that doesn't look like what I had and costs more (with shipping) than the carpet kit.

There are three tanks, 71 to mid year 72, Late 72 and 73, then 74.

My 74 Charger trunk floor with gas tank hump.
Terry W.

Trunk Repaint.jpg

Nice gunmetal! Mine was originally gunmetal but the previous owner liked black better. I would have kept it in gunmetal but black is good too.

What's the reason for the extra bulge in the gas tank? Did they make the fuel vapor recovery tank part of the gas tank?

Any idea why? I haven't experienced a problem with it being behind a wheel. I suppose, theoretically, a giant rock could be thrown up and breach the tank but that seems incredibly unlikely.

Auto Transport Service
Back