• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Turn signals out of order

#soarertompa

Local time
11:41 PM
Reaction score
Hi have recently reinstalled all of the electrical on my rotisserie restored -68 Charger.
Everything works as it should except for the turnsignals.
When I turn on the hazard every indicator works as it should, but when I try to use the regular turnsignal there is absolutely no action at all.
Havent connected my hood indicators yet, but that should not effect this, right?
Can it be the switch in my steering column or a faulty turn signal relay?

The Hazzard lights and Turn Signals have completely separate flasher units. Make sure you have both of them, possibly swap them to see if that changes anything.

The Hazzard lights and Turn Signals have completely separate flasher units. Make sure you have both of them, possibly swap them to see if that changes anything.
Thanks, I have both relays in place. Will try a quick swap to see if anything happens.

My fender mounted turn signals aren't installed and it has no effect on my regular turn signals. All the signals need a body ground, I use the star washers to "cut through" for a good connection to ground.

Ok, here is an update on my flasher issues. It turned out to be a faulty turn signal mechanism in my steering column, so ordered a new one and now I have turnsignals. But if Im coming up to a cross section and activate the turnsignal and then apply the brakes, the turnsignal stops flashing? As soon as I let of the brake pedal the flasher starts working again.
Also got some extra ground wires to the rear light fittings and replaced the turn signal flasher relay. Will get some extra ground wires up front as well just to be sure.
Anybody else has experience with brakelights "taking out" turn singals?

that's the way it works up to 69 with brakes "overriding" the hazards. On 70 things changed with hazard activated deactivating brakes

that's the way it works up to 69 with brakes "overriding" the hazards. On 70 things changed with hazard activated deactivating brakes
That is true with the flashers but not the turn signals. Something is crossed up there somewhere. If the lights were working before, it is not a ground issue.

TRUE! sorry... I went straight to think on hazzards.

on turning, the side blinking should keep blinking while brakes are applied

Sounds like a wire is crossed in the new turn signal switch? The new switches have a couple of wires colored different than the originals. Got to make sure you get them in the right spot in the connector.

beerestoration2018 1717.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back