• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

u-bolts with flat top?

icetech

Local time
1:43 PM
Reaction score
Hi guys, was just curious if anyone knows of a place that sells rear u-bolts with the flattened top like stock? All i seem to find is the round ones that seem like they would dig into the axle tube and crush it a bit, am i over-thinking it? Starting to put the rear of the car back together and stressing bout getting the right parts.. I was going to use my stock u-bolts but it has flattened threads and i don't trust em

Where are the flattened threads located? IF they are not where the nuts will land when tight, use them after cleaning. Make sure the flattened part doesn't interfere with the nuts going on. Keep in mind that stock nuts were 'hit' on 3 sides to make them have a slight interference fit and are not supposed to spin on easily. This keeps them from coming loose and 'spinning' off over time. I use loc-tite on used ones. The stock nuts are longer than normal too so they have more thread engagement....

I have boight them from Mega Parts in the past.

Like the gm ones ?
You can also have them made. I had some made

Partsmix, 521 Restoration, Megaparts and Mancini to name a few...
k... wtf.. i looked at mancini, thanks will go find them
P.S. yup.. right there on mancinis page.... jesus.... the internet is hard :) thanks.

Where are the flattened threads located? IF they are not where the nuts will land when tight, use them after cleaning. Make sure the flattened part doesn't interfere with the nuts going on. Keep in mind that stock nuts were 'hit' on 3 sides to make them have a slight interference fit and are not supposed to spin on easily. This keeps them from coming loose and 'spinning' off over time. I use loc-tite on used ones. The stock nuts are longer than normal too so they have more thread engagement....
Yeah, i was just gonna double nut them.. but one is pretty bad. The flat spot is right where it tightens.. I swear every part i go to clean to put this back together is just trash.. never buy a michigan car :)

Auto Transport Service
Back