• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valve cover issue

The factory heads are on a 7* angle from the gasket rail on the heads. Aftermarket heads are straight (90* from the gasket surface).
The question is ….why?

The question is ….why?

My guess is it had to do with exhaust manifold clearance. Having the holes drilled at a 90* to the head makes it difficult to install the VC bolts along with the covers including getting a socket on the bolt heads. I've seen a lot of exhaust manifolds up above the valve cover lip. (Just a thought)

When did they go from studs to bolts? I have seen both BB and RB factory valve covers both ways.

My guess is it had to do with exhaust manifold clearance. Having the holes drilled at a 90* to the head makes it difficult to install the VC bolts along with the covers including getting a socket on the bolt heads. I've seen a lot of exhaust manifolds up above the valve cover lip. (Just a thought)
The two do tend to get right close to one another, don't they?
Especially with stamped steel covers with their shrouded edges.

Auto Transport Service
Back