• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vehicle Title Service Recommendation

streetmachine

Local time
1:27 AM
Reaction score
Potentially considering a late 80s Dodge truck but, the truck is currently located in a state with where they don't issue a title. If I were to purchase the truck, I live in a state where a title is required. I've looked on here some but, just wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a title service? I see there is Broadway but, don't know anything about them or how much it would cost to obtain a title? I'm just wondering if they should be avoided and another company used? Thank you in advance for any help or information.

call or go online to your sos and look at what may be required for you to obtain a title. usually only a bill of sale. might be a notary statement or ??? should not be too hard.

I don't have a book next to me.... but I am pretty sure they offer services for obtaining a title through their Hemmings Motor News (services offered section). Also.. they have 2-3 title company's listed in the (Auto Roundup car magazine) last time I new. I have never been associated with any of these company's.. but they do exist. Good luck with getting a good title.:thumbsup:

I've called Broadway title in the past but never used them. For a NY car they wanted $1,000 to get a car from bill of sale to titled in my name. NY is one of the toughest states to register a car if you don't have clear title or a fully transferable registration.

Here you register your vehicle yearly. You get a piece of paper, that has your name, address, year, make of car and model. Also your signature. There is another portion that is a transfer of title.
If you sell the car, put the buyer’s name on it and your signature . Transfer is all done.
I located a 1958 Fargo sweptside for a friend from Ochelata Oklahoma. Registered it in my name, signed off to his name. He came up with a 1975 Chrysler and a car trailer. He didn't have any problem going through US Customs or in Oklahoma .

Get a notarized bill of sale and that states title law stating there is no title required. Take those two documents to your department of motor vehicles and that should be all they require. Save yourself some bucks.

Thank you all once again. The truck originally came from Texas but, now resides in Maine and currently registered there. I need to verify some other things and see where the cards fall at this point. Anyways, thank you again. This helps a lot.

Don't pay for a title service.

States generally know what paperwork other states consider legal for motor vehicles.

This could be as simple as calling your state DMV/BMV and asking about the state it is coming from.

Do that first.

You can't go wrong with a selling state provided, notarized bill of sale as a starting point either.
Just make sure you don't need anything else, like a copy of the current registration.

Last edited:
Your state may be a title state but that doesn’t mean that you need a title to register it. For example, I moved from New York State to North Carolina and I was able to register my pre-73 vehicles with the NYS registrations. New York didn’t issue titles for vehicles built prior to 73. North Carolina on the other hand has issued titles forever so I went from a registration to a title. Prior to moving from NYS I had bought several cars from North and South Carolina where I registered the cars with titles in NY and the DMV issued me the registrations. In that case the DMV issued me a non transferable registration and later a transferable registration once the title issuing state confirmed that the title transfer was valid. The only issue I ever had was with a car where the previous owner failed to sign something. The clerk at the DMV returned the paperwork to me saying that it needed the previous owners signature. He looked at me and winked. I then noticed that there was a pen on top of the paperwork so I signed the paperwork and handed it back to him. He then said “oh there it is” and I got it registered.

Auto Transport Service
Back