• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vibration in Steering

Tias63

Local time
12:48 AM
Reaction score
OK, 63 Sport Fury with power steering. Just installed a new firm feel steering gear, and rebuilt the power steering pump. I'm getting a vibration that is felt on the steering wheel, and especially during turning the car to the left or the right.
I had this going on prior to the new steering gear, so I'm sure it's the pump, plus when I put my hands on the gear you feel nothing, but you do feel some vibrations when you touch the pump. The purpose for the pump rebuild was to replace the front seal that was leaking pretty bad. Any ideas on what might have went wrong with the pump?

Maybe, just maybe the system has air in the fluid that still needs to purge.
Meaning aeration of the fluid that makes the fluid foamy.

Also have a ’63 Fury and has the FFII setup. Of course, vibrations can come from a wealth of sources, but saying you had this before doesn’t seem to have anything to do with the new install. Likely not your hassle, but thought I’d toss this out. After the FFII, I started noticing an odd vibe feeling when turning the wheel after some lengthy driving and later a tuning fork sort of sound turning the wheel. Getting the car on a lift, noticed the zerk on the pitman was sheared off and marred the left T-bar. Looking at the cross link, it was ever slightly unlevel – higher on the left. Also, it had marred the header. As the steering linkage was not replaced, just some components, bushings, ball-joints, etc. Thought it might have to do with the box. Anyway the pitman looked canted – it was worn being the original. Put a new one on and solved the problem.

Auto Transport Service
Back