• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vibration with rattle and knock noise

Coronet 14

Local time
12:50 AM
Reaction score
I've had a rattle knocking sound comming from the left front for awhile now. It just started to tranmit a vibration through the steering wheel the past couple of times I've had it out. I jacked it up and founda tiny bit of play in the upper balljoint. In the pictures it looks like it has seperated but it has not. What do you guys think.

001.JPG
002.JPG

Time for new ball joints.

Tiny bita play in the ball joints = a whole lota adventure.

Thanks Guys for looking Will get the left side apart and see what else I need. Can't start on it till next week. F**K

I had some extra time this evening and got the ball joint out. I checked the torque on the nut after I got the cotter pin out it was good. It has one spot that when you move the shaft around it hits it and binds up. It also feels like it's grinding against sand. Physically it doesn't too bad.

001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG

3 1/2 years? How many miles.

Just changed mine out since I replaced everything in the front end at least 10 years old and were still good but got new ones in my front end kit, moog is best still made in USA

About 2500 miles. When I rebuilt the front suspension The new control arms had the ball joints already in them.

I got the parts to fix it. I have the Flu now so hopefully I will feel better this weekend. So I can start getting it back together.

I went to install the new Moog balljoint now that I'm feeling better. They didn't fit properly. Also they wouldn't tighten and were loose in the hole. The old one will tighten but not these new ones.
So I ordered different ones. Hopefully they will be here soon.

Auto Transport Service
Back