• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wanting opinion on 17" front 15" Rear Rim Combination

2quick

Local time
5:41 AM
Reaction score
I'm currently building a 66 Satellite for Hot Street/Strip use and the time has come to fit Rims and tires. I've literally spent weeks finding just the right rear tires to take advantage of narrowed rear and Mini Tubs that I have. I've decided on 315/60R15 M/T ET Streets for the rear on 15X12 B/S Street Lites. FYI (I had to find these tires on Amazon in this size because M/T doesn't make that tire anymore and the new Radial Sizes Suck) Just Saying!

So now its front tire time and I really like the look and roll out advantage of a 28" tire, but in a radial version my choices are limited to another discontinued M/T 28/7.00-15 or A currently
produced 28/7.00-17. I'm afraid that if I go with the discontinued tire(I found some on EBay) that in a couple years (or less) I will not be able to find a replacement in the 15" size. I have noticed a few guys running staggered 15" and 17" wheels on there cars for this reason. What do you guys think?

I didn't like the look. The twin turbo Satellite featured in Hot Rod had the 15"/17" combo with "disguised steel" wheels. We run generic 215/75x15 radials. Though not speed rated we run close to 140 mph regularly w/o issue.
Doug

Last edited:
It looks like a 21 and hog-wheel. YUK.

Auto Transport Service
Back