• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Watch out when buying a new tomtom navigation system

Michael_

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:23 AM
Reaction score
We bought a new TomTom Go Discover Navigation System including traffic and safety camera services.
Unlike our old tomtom we bought years ago the new go discover needs to be connected to a smartphone or other source of mobile internet
in order for the traffic and safety camera services to work!

I didn't knew and do not like this at all!

I will now try to exchange it for a "TomTom Go Premium X" which still has built in sim so it does not need a smartphone in order
for these services to work.

Thought this info might help others to avoid the hassle that i have to deal with now.

I bought 2 x TomTom WiFi capable units about 18 months ago. I don't use the cell phone features. Get tired of the updates every couple of days....although it is easy to sit in the car/van and let the WiFi connection update it.

My last TomTom died after about 7-8 years. Battery must have gone kaput....went into spastic mode....stopping & starting incessantly...to the point of distraction. I kept it just in case Zee Dutch Masters needed proof of purchase :rolleyes:

giphy.gif

Had major arguments with the admins to get my Lifetime Celebrity Voices transferred across. It pays to drop a few 'Fu*ks' into the messages and talk Police investigations with Fraudulent sales techniques helps. Then a year later I get an award for being the first to get a speed limit change updated in my area.....such a shame that the City or the other 250,000 people who use that road couldn't have done something earlier....it took a year to sort out.

:D

I just use my phone.

Already paying for it.

Constant, seamless updates.

Variety of services to choose from.

If you have the right package in your car (google or apple, but I don't especially in my old cars) you can use the screen/buttons your car has.

I'm surprised the car nav device market is still active due to the above.

Had major arguments with the admins to get my Lifetime Celebrity Voices transferred across. It pays to drop a few 'Fu*ks' into the messages and talk Police investigations with Fraudulent sales techniques helps. Then a year later I get an award for being the first to get a speed limit change updated in my area.....such a shame that the City or the other 250,000 people who use that road couldn't have done something earlier....it took a year to sort out.

:D

dec5a4eb-2565-4e4c-aae7-f8af68666c75_text.gif

:rofl: LOVE that movie!!

You know, back before there were “navigation systems” and all we had were paper maps, we never got lost. I Don’t use the gps anymore, it’s way out of date. We use the phone or I pad. Maybe that new system works better for you. Sometimes the place that we are trying to get to will be on the right and the maps will be telling us to go past it and make a u turn. Crazy. At least somebody somewhere knows exactly where we are.

Download WAZE to your phone. Great GPS and maps app.

That comes free on a lot of new phones.

I hate map books.

Every time I bought one, it was out of date as soon as I removed the cellophane wrapper. :BangHead:

I use Google Maps on my phone as my GPS when I need it. I have GPS built in on my Ram but I much prefer Google maps. It even warms of speed traps.

Auto Transport Service
Back