• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

water pump and housing for a 400 engine

deputybob2004

Local time
1:41 AM
Reaction score
I have a friend(I hope he is) give me a 400 engine ,complete, out of a truck.
It has a water pump and housing that goes to the heads and the block.
This thing weighes about 60 pounds or better. my question is, is there anything out there that is lighter or would this even make a good engine to put in anything other than a truck? He is a stand up kind of guy, and says it was running perfect when the truck was wrecked and he took the motor out and saved it for future use and now wants to clean out his barn,and gave it to me ,knowing im a MOPAR kind of guy,just dont know much about 400 motors.
any help would be good.
ALSO anyone ever had or used a hyd. clutch set up on a 4 speed road runner? It is sure enough stiff, just looking for a softer pedal. thanks again.
bob

should be a great builder. check out 451 stroker articles.

Just get yourself a standard water pump housing and possibly another set of heads (not as tall therefore lighter). Get some 906 or 346 or 452. All about the same performance and cost wise.

By the way, you sure this is a 400? I've never seen a 400 with the tall heads and big water pump housing.

Yep, check the block. Make sure what it really is before going further. A stock 400 would probably not have high compression, but they respond to the same performance mods as any other big block. Water pump housing going to the heads does sound like a heavy duty truck motor and some parts for these motors are not easy to find or cheap if you do find them. There are aftermarket aluminum water pump housings and pumps to be had that would save weight if you really do have a 400. Check 440 Source, Mancini Racing, eBay, etc.

I put a Kiesler hydraulic clutch conversion kit in my six pack 'runner that uses a hydraulic throwout bearing. It is smoother and easier on the left leg than what was in there. However, the firewall flexed and they had to send me a retrofit brace. Check out Americal Powertrain for a complete kit, I like what I see on their site better. I have seen posts of people fabricating a setup using the factory clutch lever and throwout bearing, salvaging a master and slave cylinder out of other vehicles and making their own custom setups. Depends on which you have more of - money or fabricating skills.

Good luck. Let us know what the motor is.

Auto Transport Service
Back