• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

well, i just got scammed

I'm aware of a lot of that mess as I've been dealing with it for many years as a mod on other forums. I've even been the target of some of them and actually got the local law enforcement on a case that was pretty bad and they made an arrest. It was a 'local' scammer that wasn't very bright was doing pretty good for being an amature. Most likely a loner trying to jump into the big time game. It's a crazy game with pros and amatures playing it. No matter how much you learn about them, they find ways to fake others out.....
What other sites are you a mod on? Always looking for good sites/forums.

So sorry to hear. There are no 100% safe havens. Especially in dealings online. At least it was for a somewhat lower amount? We have all heard FAR worse of those who lost BIG.

I just helped a guy that got took for thousands. Believing he was talking with Amazon. And believe it or not? He is also an IT guy.

So like the 100% no safe place? Nobody is 100% ammuned from being scammed. Unless you totally stop all commerce in your life. (Which of course is totally unrealistic.) You can be scammed right at the checkout isle of a trusted store. The most scary? Is being scammed and never knowing it.

I know it stings, but we learn and move on.
So far, so good here!! It takes a lot of research to make sure you're dealing with legit people but when you're on a site with members that have been here for years and have lots of posts, that's a good sign. The majority of the scammers are on and gone so pay attention to the ones that do not have a history of being a site member is the first thing you can do.
What other sites are you a mod on? Always looking for good sites/forums.
Pretty much no where anymore but have been on the FBBO and FABO but was an admin on another site that gave me a huge insite as was what was happening before coming here. Being way behind the 'lines' really opened my eyes as far as scammers go. The early sites only taught me to be on the lookout for the present sites. Thing is, individual members that are targeted is hard for us to see so y'all need to also be diligent too....

I knew better, but didnt trust my gut. I " bought " rear trim for my car, I got a message from a fellow FBBO member that his "freind" had the trim I was looking for, i cannt remember his name on here and the message from him is now gone from my inbox. I sent him 100.00, then i found the pics he sent to me on any ebay add for mopatrs r us. my fault, I know better than to even respond to"my friend has them, he's just not a member here"..

1st time i have ever been scammed and fell for it, the user name from FBBO showed he was a member for 3 yrs, but I cannot find his name.. just beware everyone else
Had a reply just like that a few weeks ago.

Gave me an email says 'this guy' had them.
Asked for pics and he sent me several of parts but NONE were what I was asking for .

My gut said run,,,so I ran

@jprather . I have two sets of those trim pieces, and neither is great but are usable. You are welcome to them. The killer is the shipping costs now days. I'm in Kennewick Wa. Maybe someone closer has some. If you lived near me, I'd have you drive over and give them to you. One is damaged but the others are okay. Dull chrome. Some bubbles in chrome.
Terry W.

Rear Qtr Trim.jpg

Last edited:
If the seller requests paying by Zelle, that is a big red flag for me. I had a guy recently from Florida who had a mint pair of 70 Coronet tail lights. He wanted Zelle and I insisted on Paypal, not friends and family and I would pay the fee. He wouldn't do it. Instead he offered me to pay $100 up front, he would send them and then I could pay the rest. Nah. It was on Facebook Market place. I wrote on his ad that he was a scammer to warn others. Too many of them out there.

Say of you still need the parts …. I’ve got a friend that has them for a steal (like a real steal)

Sorry to hear of your woes bro - don’t be too hard on yourself. We all get one mulligan. This was yours. Happened to me some 35+ yrs ago. Never forgot - never fell for it again.
Anytime you get another One on the hook **** with him till he pisses his pants …….

I’m starting to see another scam, not link to the conversation here though.

It involves selling an item. I recently advertised a lawn tractor on Facebook Marketplace. The next day I received a buyer’s message about buying it. We haggled on pricing in two messages. Then they wanted my address & phone #. I sent it to them. Then they sent a message on Facebook saying they were texting a code for me to text back to them for them to make sure I wasn’t a scammer. As I was looking for said code, they are peppering me with Facebook messages about sending the code.

That irritated me and as I’m typing for them to get lost they send another message saying they are sending the code again. The code came through but google had a warning included in the text saying they think this is a scam.

I sent the get lost message on Facebook. The next day I got a text message, with no phone #, that asked “How is your Mother’s cancer doing?”
I didn’t respond, she’s been deceased for years and I didn’t respond back.

Now I know to use our landline house phone in those ads from now on.
But I did give them an address and cell number. Lord knows what they can do with that, but it sucks.

It’s a never ending battle.

wow ! new one on me also ! people today dont care, there are not consequences for them, and in a digital world, its easy to fool ppl

The "let me send you a code" BS is a newer scam attempt that is making the rounds. Don't fall for it! IGNORE it!

Yep, that's how they do it. They then use your phone number and that code to create a new gmail account to scam another victim with. I ordered some bubble wrap off ebay last month that I needed to package parts with and of course it came from China - was here within a week and thought that was odd. Few weeks later I got a small pencil eraser in the mail with a return address of 1841 taylor ave louisville ky 40213 except it was from [email protected] which is a Chinese company in China. This is what's known as a "brushing" scam where 3rd party ebay/amazon sellers/businesses use the tracking number off whatever item they send, usually it's some cheap piece like the .50 cent pencil eraser I got, that way they can leave positive reviews on their businesses commerce store. Somewhat of a less harmful scam but gutter trashy nonetheless.
ky.pngky1.png

I see CL ads that specifically say "I don't verify codes".

I'm not jumping through hoops like that either.

...and don't haggle me down until you've seen the item. I'll give you one shot at no more than a 20% less offer before then.

That sending a trinket to get a tracking # is so they can use that number to show you where your $500 item is, and it buys them an excuse- the PO delivered to the wrong address, and time.

If the seller requests paying by Zelle, that is a big red flag for me. I had a guy recently from Florida who had a mint pair of 70 Coronet tail lights. He wanted Zelle and I insisted on Paypal, not friends and family and I would pay the fee. He wouldn't do it. Instead he offered me to pay $100 up front, he would send them and then I could pay the rest. Nah. It was on Facebook Market place. I wrote on his ad that he was a scammer to warn others. Too many of them out there.
Recently was selling on FB marketplace and got a FB message that they wanted to buy what I had and would pay me up front and have someone else come by and get it later. Ok...then they wanted to use Zelle. I don't have it and won't ever have it so I told them PayPal and they were ok with that so I gave them my email address and all of a sudden I'm getting an alert that looked like it was from PayPal saying my account was underfunded or something like that and to add x number of dollars. Some of these guys are really crafty but some are plain stooopid but there are people who are not eddycated at all about this stuff and will fall for it. A good friend of mine lost lots of money when he fell for a scammer that was selling a 68 road runner....

Any time a potential buyer or seller involves a third party.........I'm out.

I never read all of this, but sorry u got scammed. I would call her out on Facebook. At least that would make ppl aware they are scammers. It also that could be a fake name and account? Kim

I saw a used truck on Facebook Marketplace that was just a few hours old. Sent a message to that seller who messaged me back that her Aunt was the owner and sent me her email.

The Aunt sent back a very nice message explaining that her and her husband traveled a lot so they are selling the truck through EBay Motors and they asked for some personal info.

I thought instantly fake scammers. The ad was flagged and shortly after removed saying sold. That didn’t stop them from emailing the next day to see if I was still interested.

I’m also seeing a lot of newer vehicles selling for cheap but if you read the ad the low price is like a down payment.

I'm getting an alert that looked like it was from PayPal saying my account was underfunded
My account is always underfunded.
Otherwise I'd have some pretty cool cars and a huge pole barn with multiple lifts, tools of every nature etc...
And I wouldn't have to go to work all the time.

My account is always underfunded.
Otherwise I'd have some pretty cool cars and a huge pole barn with multiple lifts, tools of every nature etc...
And I wouldn't have to go to work all the time.
Yeah, there's not much in mine right now for sure lol. And why would anyone get a notice from PayPal about not having any funds in it anyways?? As soon as it showed up I knew it was a scam.

Any time a potential buyer or seller involves a third party.........I'm out.
I sold a GTX via a third party through an online ad. But...the buyer had to show with funds and a trailer, or no deal. I initially suspected scam, but it was legit. But I got the payment in hand before I handed the title over.

Fortunately I have never been scammed in all my years buying parts off the car websites. I even traded whole cars with someone from Texas and sent my car to them first while it took a month to arrange transportation to get my new car back. It could have been worse than $100. But it shouldn't happen at all!

Fortunately I have never been scammed in all my years buying parts off the car websites. I even traded whole cars with someone from Texas and sent my car to them first while it took a month to arrange transportation to get my new car back. It could have been worse than $100. But it shouldn't happen at all!
I've had a couple of issues over the years but nothing too bad. Got a set of pistons from someone that weren't even close to what he advertised and then it took some doing to get my money back. Just happened to be a cop on the site that knew him and lived close to him. Don't think he broke his arm but think he gave it a good twist lol. One small issue is that I loaned a guy here on the site a Door Slammers book and never go it back. That was several years ago when they were sorta not very expensive.....makes one not want to do stuff like that anymore so it ruins things for others.

Auto Transport Service
Back