• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

We're getting there!

Airwolf222b

Local time
5:37 PM
Reaction score
If you've been following my progression at all heres a little update on how things are going. With a lot of help from this forum!

Quick history of the car - It was found in storage by a coworker who went to buy another car. The guy would only sell it if he took the "other one". The "other one" was a 1973 roadrunner w/318. His father had passed and he'd been storing the cars for roughly 30 years. He wanted them both gone. She was FILTHY! While it was in a climate stored garage it was not covered up. I don't have a pic from that day. A dust off and it moved to another garage for a year that my employer owns. Thats when I bought it. Pic #1 was from the first day I saw her. She was moldy and dirty inside too. See Pic #2. But I loved her. A few days later I got her moved out of storage and behind my employers building so I could look at her in the light. There was no promise she would run, or shift, or stop or anything (#4). But I had hope. With some help from sifting through older posts on this forum I was able to decode the vin plate. (#5). She was fairly basic but then again so am I. So the work would begin. With some help from a mechanic friend of mine (and by help I mean he does all the hard stuff that I don't understand) we got to work. Now she runs. Shifts into first and reverse. Not sure about other gears because I havent gone over 5mph due to some sketchy brakes. but she does stop....ish.

So far we've replaced...

* wheels and tires
* Edelbrock Carburator and Air Filter
* Edelbrock Intake Manifold.
* New Plugs and Wires.
* new electronic ignition, voltage regulator and ballast
* ignition coil
* flush and fill radiator / replace thermostat
* readjust kickdown linkage
* readjust kickdown linkage again because it wasnt right the first time. lol
* distributor cap and button
* a few new hoses

What I have next.

* New gas tank and sending unit arrived yesterday so ill put that on this weekend hopefully
* Drain and fill transmission and replace filter.
* New belts and replace remaining hoses
* Brakes. bleed and adjust and pray to the sweet lord above they work.
* Alternator arrived too. The old one is charging but its tired.
* Starter. Also working. Also tired.
* address slight coolant leak

Can you guys think of anything I'm overlooking that should be obvious?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

IMG_4389.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4388.jpg

Nice, We were 16 years old when a friend of mine's Grandfather borrowed his 69 Nova while his Caddy was in the shop.
Had to get to his golf game you know. When he returned he said "That thing is a death trap.Go buy a new car,call me when you pick one out".
Well we were off in a split second to the Dodge dealership. The salesman payed us no mind,just a couple of punk kids.
So off we went to the Plymouth dealership there it was,a brand new red Road Runner few options, 318 auto.
Lucky kid. I always have a spot in my heart for the 73-74 RR's.
Have the best of luck and fun with it !!

Auto Transport Service
Back