• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What has happened to all the 66/67 B-body Plymouth painted gas caps?

AR67GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:07 AM
Reaction score
Has it struck anyone else as strange that all the painted Plymouth gas caps seem to have disappeared off the face of earth? I mean how many 66 Belvedere Is, Satellites, 67 Satellites, Belvedere Is and Belvedere IIs were made? They just don’t seem to exist in the used parts marketplace. Yet, you can almost always find a few of the much fewer made, plated 66 Belvedere II gas caps for a sky high price and numerous A-body caps. So why would the aftermarket be pumping out a multitude of reproduction painted A-body gas caps, but not B-body?

And no this isn’t a WTB ad. I’m perfectly content to leave the pricey Belvedere II gas cap on my Satellite that was on it. I got burned on one A-body gas cap already so I’ll leave well enough alone. Just curious where they all went.

Interesting timing.
I was just looking thru gas caps on Van's auto parts .
They have all kinds of caps and NONE to fit the 66 - 67 Satellite.

One would think there has to be a market for it if a body caps sell.
I wonder how much a difference there is.

I ended up modifying a ford truck cap for mine.
I did find a correct replacement cap. But it's chrome and I need to get it painted

Last edited:
Yeah, they seem to be as rare as Hen's Teeth! I have the same issue - running the fancy Belvedere II cap - which is snazzy looking, just not correct for my car.

I've had many 66-67 cars and only two had the original gas caps.
One 67 GTX and one 67 four door Belvedere. I used parts of one on my GTX and kept the
original painted cap for a rainy day.
They all seem to have been lost through the years.

Yeah, they seem to be as rare as Hen's Teeth!
:lol:
1966hp2cruiseapril162023 013.jpg

I asked because I am a card carrying pack rat. I have boxes of caps, but am not an expert on 66 and 67 Plymouths, so I asked. I do indeed have many of the two on the right, both used and NOS, and possibly locking caps too. However, as per FBBO rules, none are for sale.

To answer the original posters question, they are out there, but the people who have them don't know what they fit. I also have boxes vintage Roberts Thermostats that I can't identify, though I wish I could because mechanic friends tell me thermostats today often fail, right out of the box. I do know where the two boxes of NOS Mopar Laygears, Input Shafts, and other gears. I can't bring myself to toss them even though I have not successfully identified any of them.

As a poorly organized pack rat, I can't put my hands on the caps right now, but I know I have them. As I dig through my crap and now know what I am looking at, I will make sure they are put up for sale or trade. I recently saw one of the type in the center and almost tossed it as sometimes I feel like I am drowning. There are only two local swap meets per year and I do get tired of the mess. The reason I didn't toss the cap is: I am currently separating parts I can't identify planning to post photos and making a $5 donation to St. Judes for any that successfully identified.

I asked because I am a card carrying pack rat. I have boxes of caps, but am not an expert on 66 and 67 Plymouths, so I asked. I do indeed have many of the two on the right, both used and NOS, and possibly locking caps too. However, as per FBBO rules, none are for sale.

To answer the original posters question, they are out there, but the people who have them don't know what they fit. I also have boxes vintage Roberts Thermostats that I can't identify, though I wish I could because mechanic friends tell me thermostats today often fail, right out of the box. I do know where the two boxes of NOS Mopar Laygears, Input Shafts, and other gears. I can't bring myself to toss them even though I have not successfully identified any of them.

As a poorly organized pack rat, I can't put my hands on the caps right now, but I know I have them. As I dig through my crap and now know what I am looking at, I will make sure they are put up for sale or trade. I recently saw one of the type in the center and almost tossed it as sometimes I feel like I am drowning. There are only two local swap meets per year and I do get tired of the mess. The reason I didn't toss the cap is: I am currently separating parts I can't identify planning to post photos and making a $5 donation to St. Judes for any that successfully identified.
the cap in the center will not be flat. It will have a bent look to qresemble the rdius of the quarter panel .

I remember the day my mom and I were riding with my aunt in her 66 Satellite. It was summer of '67 and we stopped for gas. Full service in '67 by the way. Gas station attendant didn't replace the cap. That's likely what happened to most of those original caps. Before the end of the day, my uncle replaced it with one of those chrome replacement caps with the black plastic handle.

I remember the day my mom and I were riding with my aunt in her 66 Satellite. It was summer of '67 and we stopped for gas. Full service in '67 by the way. Gas station attendant didn't replace the cap. That's likely what happened to most of those original caps. Before the end of the day, my uncle replaced it with one of those chrome replacement caps with the black plastic handle.
No doubt.

I'm a little sorry I sold my spare 66 gas cap to a member $75. Have mine wired to the inside of trunk. It's .020 stranded cable I won't forget it, somebody tries to yank and pulls it wrong it will cut him to the bone.
gas cap.jpg
gas cap 1.jpg

Luckily on my 1967 car....so thanks for telling me to secure it. On those 1966 Bell II that center emblem falls off a lot - was able to find a right side to pluck off for my missing 1966 gas cap.

Auto Transport Service
Back