• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is correct paint sheen for 1962-63 dash metal?

John Keyburn

Local time
6:59 AM
Reaction score
Hello and happy new year all!

Can anyone give me the scoop or know what the correct paint sheen for the Dodge and Plymouth dash metal is for the 1962-63 dashes?

I have a donor dash metal I'm getting repainted locally and want t make sure its correct.

I bought this Dash this summer
1673028278629.png

Here is it getting prepped
1673028378546.png
1673028415233.png

1673028498842.png
1673028461737.png

1673028598035.png

The same as it was before you sanded it. By the looks of your pictures.

Somewhat of a semi-gloss, so as to limit glare from it.

Somewhat of a semi-gloss, so as to limit glare from it.

Nope, just single stage enamel. They weren't worried about glare in 1962 or they wouldn't have used a wide chrome trim all the way around the inside of the windshield.

I went with a base coat clear coat.... the issue I had was getting the correct color mix. the color coat is the key..... most of the resto mod guys shoot it the body color. I went the same process as you .... removal .... blast ... refinish. Be careful shooting the speaker slots ..... paint build up issues. My 65 was brite red body .... red poly trim. .......But if i had to do it again ... I would go with Khryslerkid post .... single stage.​

65 dash.jpg

Nope, just single stage enamel. They weren't worried about glare in 1962 or they wouldn't have used a wide chrome trim all the way around the inside of the windshield.

My original '63 was semi gloss, and no chrome trim inside, all painted. Era correct paint probably was ss enamel, as KK said, but wasn't glossy, could have been time faded...

IMG_1250.JPG

My original '63 was semi gloss, and no chrome trim inside, all painted. Era correct paint probably was ss enamel, as KK said, but wasn't glossy, could have been time faded...

View attachment 1398207

The paint doesn't look like a two or three coat application like on the exterior. IMO it was applied quickly and just enough to fully cover. Maybe the thinner ratio was a bit more than the exterior application. In other words, not a deep luster but still glossy.
20210704_120328.jpg

20210704_120227.jpg

Btw love your '63 :thumbsup:

The paint doesn't look like a two or three coat application like on the exterior. IMO it was applied quickly and just enough to fully cover. Maybe the thinner ratio was a bit more than the exterior application. In other words, not a deep luster but still glossy.
View attachment 1398229
View attachment 1398230

Btw love your '63 :thumbsup:
kk, you've got a Beautiful '62, and a Higher End Model, so Better methods may have been used also, compared to my "lowest model" available ? Either way, We're trying get these Relics back out, and Enjoy 'em, before the game ends !!!

Yeah, the worst glare I have is from the horn ring on my 63 ply vert. Angled nicely to blind me.

I did my dash in lacquer paint with the last coat more of a misting, and it has a bit of semi-gloss look to it.
I'm not a painter, just curious if anyone else has tried this?

I believe that the repair manual has a paint code for the dash and interior metal parts.

Someone painted all my interior chrome brown. It's peeling off and I'm going to have to strip it. I'm just going to sand my dash and shoot it with a rattle can of automotive grade gloss Viper Red. I'm going to try to change the whole interior to red to match the body color. There are shops who will fill spray cans with factory colors in good quality materials.

Auto Transport Service
Back