• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is this part (72 Charger)?

JR_Charger

Local time
6:03 AM
Reaction score
91_a_part.JPG

91_mystery_part_02.jpg

What is this thing, and what does it do? I can't imagine it has the strength to affect the hood in any way, but it must have something to do with the hood.

Not factory. Looks like a strap for an aftermarket battery hold down.

Huh. I would not have guessed that. The battery had what I believe to be the original factory "hold down." Maybe I should get a picture of it.

Well this saves me the cost of replacing a part anyway. That's always nice.

Here's what I took off the car -

97_battery_hold_down.JPG

It's similar to the one in moparmarks picture, but it doesn't have the tab that goes over to the fender, and bolts to the fender where my mystery part was.

So it appears my hold down isn't original, and someone added that bracket to tie this hold down into the fender. I can't remember there ever being any kind of strap, tie, or chain between the battery hold down and the fender bracket though. I'm going to guess MAACO lost it when they painted the engine bay for the previous owner.

Auto Transport Service
Back