• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is this Part?

71SandbugCharger

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:36 AM
Reaction score
1971 Charger with 440. What is this part, it looks like a black painted soup can with two connection prongs. It’s mounted under the battery tray on the driver side and doesn’t seem to be connected to anything.

My son’s car.

Thanks!

70537605528__1754718B-8666-4563-9026-45A24A91EC5D.jpeg

That is a Vacuum storage tank. 66-70 also used them on AC cars. Was it an A/C car originally? Maybe the strato-vent cars had that also.

Last edited:
Looks like the vaccum canister on vaccum operated headlights cars 68-69 Chargers and 70 Superbirds. I know 71 cars didn't have that so-----?

71 cars had hideaway headlites as an option
And 71 hideaway headlights are electric.

The only 1970 Chrysler corporation car with vacuum headlight doors are Superbirds. All the others went to electric.

Last edited:
As stated above, vacuum reservoir. My '71 A/C car has it as well, although mine is still hooked up. Service manual shows it in the diagrams for vacuum routing for the heater box.

Also as an FYI, there's an inlet and outlet (check valve). If you hook it up backwards, you won't have vacuum to operate your heater box doors... I spent a lot of time figuring out the previous owners screw-up on that one.

Auto Transport Service
Back