• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What should I do?

krcevs

Local time
7:17 AM
Reaction score
I have a 64 Belvedere and I cant make up my mind on what engine to use.
Let me give you some back ground on it. I bought it a few months ago and its missing the fender tag so who knows what the original configuration was. It has a 69 440 with a 4 speed and it looks to be a factory bigblock car with manual steering and power brakes.
I am going gasser with this car and have some options here. I have a 64 413 casting number 1852029 which is an early truck/max wedge block or a 64 426 wedge. It is stamped 413 but I could bore it to 426 with no issues. I also have the 440 I could use. I was thinking of a Hemi maybe, cost is an issue. I going to run a blower on it. Its going to be a street car and I think all would look cool but what do you all think would be better? A same production year blown 426 wedge? a 69 blown 440? or a blown HEMI? I like them all!

Ken

What makes you think it is a factory big block car? Is it a hardtop or post?

The block is not an early '63 Max Wedge block if it's date coded as a 64.

well just my 2 cents worth.i'd go w/a 225 slant six and a four speed.when gas hits 5.00 to $7.00 a gallon you can go all day long..plus you got the look and milage t'boot..ha,ha..but im serious..God Bless.Bear R.-

Anything is possible seeing the condition of the car but I feel pretty confident it is a bigblock car. on the 413 the Truck/max wedge is what the casting number comes up with when I decoded it. If you know of another 1852029 casting that isnt showing a Truck/max wedge or 426 wedge please let me know. It doesnt have the tells of being a max wedge block like the valve knotches so I know its not a max wedge. It is dated coded 4/10/64.
The car is a hardtop.

Ken
What makes you think it is a factory big block car? Is it a hardtop or post?

The block is not an early '63 Max Wedge block if it's date coded as a 64.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry I dont care if gas is 10 bucks a gallon it will be a bigblock.

well just my 2 cents worth.i'd go w/a 225 slant six and a four speed.when gas hits 5.00 to $7.00 a gallon you can go all day long..plus you got the look and milage t'boot..ha,ha..but im serious..God Bless.Bear R.-

Smart money says stick with the motor in it. If you wanna drop a blower on it, depending on how much boost and how the motor is setup will determine whether or not to build one of the other wedge motors and do a swap. Or just pull the 440 and build that. Or go crazy. If you dont already have a hemi, expect to lay out at least 20k.

My 63 was a 318 and it had manual steering and manual brakes....you can't use either of them to base your assumption on.

A blown Hemi will cost you 28000.00 to build properly. Don't believe it will cost you a dollar less than that. Theproper crank shaft alone for the Hemi will run you 4000.00 dollars for a blown motor. A 440 is a great motor for drag racing and will give you a great deal of power aspirated.

These are the dilemas one must figure out for yourself. Should i pull my 500 for a blown smallblock? Only I could answer that question. Noone but yourself knows your preferences.

I think I am going to go with the 413 and punch it out to 426 add a blower and some Eddy max wedge heads. Thinking about a fuel injection hat insted of carbs but I think it would suck for the street. Sure would look cool though. Not looking to make much over 600 ponies and I have no intentions of drag racing it. Its more for the weekend cruises to the burger joint and goodguys shows. None of this is going to happen if I dont get my shop built. Too hard to work on it in a storage garage 10 miles away.
Thanks for the inputs. I was just wondering what others thought of an engine choice.
Red63440 I know what ypour saying, but whats to say it isnt an original bigblock car and it really doesnt matter. No offence intended. There is no way to verify it as the fender tag is long gone and it will be a bigblock and thats all I care about. Originality went out the window with the fender tag.

Ken

hey Ken,.if i had my choice 440 6 pack.thats what im doing later.4 speed too.!!but,Hemi is the ultimate choice just hard to find.God Bless...Bear R.-

You better hope your block doesn't have a lot of core shift. That's a .0625" cut you're talking about making. You'll be money ahead with a 440 and not have those worries. Pistons will be much more affordable. 413 or 426 stickers are pretty cheap.

You better hope your block doesn't have a lot of core shift. That's a .0625" cut you're talking about making. You'll be money ahead with a 440 and not have those worries. Pistons will be much more affordable. 413 or 426 stickers are pretty cheap.

Stickers are definately a lot cheaper than the custom pistons you will need for the 426W (overbored 413). I had a 426W, and Jahns was the only ones making pistons for it other than custom ones. Jahns is gone, Egge has some for $800+, and that leaves the customs.

Use the 440 and the stickers, and most people will have NO clue. Hell, when I told people I had a 426W, they said I was wrong because the pie tin said it was a 383... :rofl:

Last edited:
X2. And You didn't say what size huffer so I will. With an 8-71(or bigger) sitting on top, people are not really gonna pay attention to whats under it so much, but a custom set of 426 stage IV stickers would be right on.

Stickers are definately a lot cheaper than the custom pistons you will need for the 426W (overbored 413). I had a 426W, and Jahns was the only ones making pistons for it other than custom ones. Jahns is gone, Egge has some for $800+, and that leaves the customs.

Use the 440 and the stickers, and most people will have NO clue. Hell, when I told people I had a 426W, they said I was wrong because the pie tin said it was a 383... :rofl:

Just add stickers. This my "match race" 426. 4.5" bore x 4.5" stroke.
Doug

Attachments

• 475.jpg
    475.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 234
Just add stickers. This my "match race" 426. 4.5" bore x 4.5" stroke.
Doug

I agree use a 440 block and add the stickers. So much easier and cheaper to use a 440 block. And with some Max Wedge orange it will look just like the real thing if you use the crossram or tell them its the rare single four nascar option ! LoL. Ron

100_1753.jpg

Nice looking car Doug. I sure like the looks of that engine.

Ken

Auto Transport Service
Back