• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What size compressor do i need to run neumatic tools?

the coroner 318

Local time
7:05 AM
Reaction score
I am in for a lot of work in the next few weeks. Im puttin together a 65 dodge coronet, I am fixing up y daily driver jeep (needs a trans, and front bumper), trans in a civic etc etc. Ive got all neuatic tools from my job,my extra set of tools and i need to get some work done at home.

I am in for a lot of work in the next few weeks. Im puttin together a 65 dodge coronet, I am fixing up y daily driver jeep (needs a trans, and front bumper), trans in a civic etc etc. Ive got all neuatic tools from my job,my extra set of tools and i need to get some work done at home.

I have an older 60-gallon 5-HP upright 220 volt that works good, but it is not portable. I have considered getting a smaller portable one for when I am not at home.

well i am runnin regular house voltage its like 110 or something.

Sounds like you got your hands full! If you're just planning on using mostly impact guns, air ratchet's, air drills or here and there use of an air saw or die grinder, a 5HP 60 gallon would do the trick just fine. Most 5HP 60 Gallons i've seen are 220V

If you were looking more along the lines of a DA Sander, spray guns, large air grinder, a 5HP 60 Gallon will not cut it. It may run the tool for a little bit, but will run out of snort pretty quickly. Also, the compressor will be working harder (more wear and tear) as well as contending with more water for the dessicant/air dryer to put up with. At least 8-10HP to run those tools...

At far as being limited by 110V, you're gonna be pretty limited with the kind of air tool you can use and how much torque that tool will put out.. A 20-35 gallon compressor would work out good for smaller odds and ends like running air nailers/stapple guns and smaller air ratchets, but any kind of HD impact, grinding-sanding for extended periods of time would be pretty much ruled out.

The route I went was, saved up a bit extra cash, bought a larger compressor for what I originally intended it for and now in the future I have no worries about not having ample air for whatever air tool I hook up to it. As far as not having 220V, it's really not too hard to run out of a current breaker box as long as you have the room/amps to do so..

Just my 2 cents....Good luck to ya!

I bought a 7.5HP 80 gal 220v 32 CFM unit and I'm sure glad I didn't buy anything smaller.

It's just me, part time, running an 1/2 impact, 3/8 ratchet, gravity sandblaster, or cut off wheel. Sometimes the sandblaster will tax it, although two people can run the cut off wheel and an air file or sander OK.

I had an old jacuzi circuit already present outside my house (saved me from going through the exterior wall), and I extended that to the garage for my 220. Cost about $200 in 1 1/4 PVC (for expansion) and the #10 wire.

thank you everyone for your resonses!! i wish i could tap into the box but the house im living in was built in like 1922 and the electrical isnt really updated hahaha. I am definately doing to figure this out. The tools im running are an air hammer, 3/8 air wratchet, 3/8 impact gun, die grinder, blow off gun, shop tools like the fuel injection service tool. Its only me working so i dont have to worry about more than one person at a time useing tools.

The CFM flow of each tool is what determines how much air volume is needed, most air tools require 4-cfm to 9-cfm of flow, there are tools that will flow more & less, see what CFM the tools require, the compressor needs to be able to keep up with the CFM volume of the tool... DA sanders, long board sanders, Large Air Ratchets, air drills grinders & cutters that are on for an extended period of time, use a ton of CFM flow, hose size, length & volume can also effect how often the compressor turns on & off, 80% of "compressor output" is a good minimum rule of thumb {example if your air compressor pump will put out 10-cfm a 8-cfm tool or smaller, will run well, compressor will keep up better}, larger air vessels/tanks will help some, the air compressor pump won't turn on as often, a 220volt 30-50 amp circuit like a dryer or stove 3 prong/30amp or 4 prong/50amp type outlet, or minimum a 20 amp 110volt "dedicated circuit/outlet" with nothing else on that circuit or breaker, it will blow the breaker or overheat the wires or both... Always use a water separator/oil filter in line after air pump, oil air tools regularly... Just my opinion

Last edited:
Although you can get by with a smaller one with a lot of work, bigger is better when using air tools. A good compressor is a good investment for body or mechanical work, better to get a larger one then find out later and have to buy another.

Well my buddy had an issue where he needed a compressor immediately and couldn't tap into the house either (old small 100 amp panel already taxed with house stuff & long ways from shop) so he bought a gas powered compressor off craigslist. Thought he was crazy at first but it really does the trick. Kicks it on while he needs air and off when he doesn't.

what erver you buy DO NOT buy this one!! it runs outa steam in about 3 minutes of use POS!

CRAFTSMAN®/MD 33-gallon Vertical Tank Style Air Compressor
Only at Sears!
24 1/2'' w. x 23 3/4'' d. x 51'' h.
oil-free, maintenance-free operation
1.6-hp induction motor
150 psi* maximum operational pressure
conveniently located control panel
direct drive
dual operation quick connects allow you to quickly change applications
120 volt
wheel-barrow handles
1-year warranty *Pounds per square inch.

Attachments

• 609_16472_P.jpg
    609_16472_P.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 452
That Sear model looks just like the one I borrowed from my brother. We ended up using my Cheap generic Altone 3HP 11 gal.

Painted my car this summer. Used it for all the grinding, sanding, painting. I will never use it as much again as I did this past summer. I have no plans to upgrade. IT did the job.

that Sear model if it is the same one I borrowed did run out of steam very fast. Stay away. It looks nice in the garage but is a huge paper wt unless u just fill your tires with air from it.

LOL, I'm glad I apparently was one of the lucky ones! My wife bought me that exact Sears one 6 years ago for Father's Day. I have used/abused the crap outta that thing for everything from grinding, air hammering, painting, drilling, etc, ever since I got it, and it's still pumping strong today, no problems ever. Guess I need to buy a lottery ticket!!

Return it

what erver you buy DO NOT buy this one!! it runs outa steam in about 3 minutes of use POS!

CRAFTSMAN®/MD 33-gallon Vertical Tank Style Air Compressor
Only at Sears!
24 1/2'' w. x 23 3/4'' d. x 51'' h.
oil-free, maintenance-free operation
1.6-hp induction motor
150 psi* maximum operational pressure
conveniently located control panel
direct drive
dual operation quick connects allow you to quickly change applications
120 volt
wheel-barrow handles
1-year warranty *Pounds per square inch.

I'm not sure about that model or it's performance but, It's a Craftsman you should be able to return it, they are pretty good about returns on Craftsman stuff at "Sears" usually, I've even returned even broken **** & they replaced it or exchanged it for free... If that's were you purchased it that is, there are a ton of places that sell Craftsman now that don't honor the same deal like "Sears" or "Orchard Supply Hardware" does...

Stay away from the "oil-less or maintenance free" compressors. You will be disappointed in their performance. If you only have 110v. in your garage find a nice 3hp./20gal. belt drive/ piston type compressor. Try to get a cast iron compressor. They are longer lasting. Although it won't keep up while grinding for hours on a paint project it will work for normal air tools. I have a
Quincy 3/20/110v and it's strong enough to run a 1/2" impact when I'm doing brake/tire work on my tool truck. Also use 3/8" hose and high flow couplers.
toolmanmike

Stay away from the oil-less or maintenance free compressors. If you have 110v. service in your garage, find a 3hp./20gal. belt drive with a cast iron compressor. That will be the best you can get. It will keep up with most air tools except for constant use tools like grinders and sanders. My 3/20 Quincy keeps up with my 1/2" impact when I'm taking wheels off my tool truck for brake work.(1" lug nuts)
Use a 3/8" hose with high flow couplers which will also help. toolmanmike

I agree with Mark42202--I've had mine for 8 years (same scenerio--wife bought it for my birthday)--I've run it mercilessly for everything including pumping it up to 150 psi and blowing out my lawn sprinklers before winter--it's like a Timex--"takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'."

The CFM flow of each tool is what determines how much air volume is needed, most air tools require 4-cfm to 9-cfm of flow, there are tools that will flow more & less, see what CFM the tools require, the compressor needs to be able to keep up with the CFM volume of the tool... DA sanders, long board sanders, Large Air Ratchets, air drills grinders & cutters that are on for an extended period of time, use a ton of CFM flow, hose size, length & volume can also effect how often the compressor turns on & off, 80% of "compressor output" is a good minimum rule of thumb {example if your air compressor pump will put out 10-cfm a 8-cfm tool or smaller, will run well, compressor will keep up better}, larger air vessels/tanks will help some, the air compressor pump won't turn on as often, a 220volt 30-50 amp circuit like a dryer or stove 3 prong/30amp or 4 prong/50amp type outlet, or minimum a 20 amp 110volt "dedicated circuit/outlet" with nothing else on that circuit or breaker, it will blow the breaker or overheat the wires or both... Always use a water separator/oil filter in line after air pump, oil air tools regularly... Just my opinion

X2 Be sure and do your homework as to what your air demands are going to be to avoid buying again later. If you end up needing a two stage unit, before spending the extra $, look into a high output single stage unit ( 3 cylinder). That's what mine is and it puts out 18.5 Cfm at 125 PSI and comes in about $700 cheaper than a two stage unit... Just my 2 cents, and experience.

Good luck, and happy hunting

:eek:ccasion14:

Auto Transport Service
Back