• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What years do parts interchange on 8 1/4" axles?

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:40 AM
Reaction score
Hey there,
I have a 1970 8 1/4" axle from a '70 Charger. The plan is to swap this into a 65 Valiant. I am aware of the difference in width but I intend to see if I can fit it in there and use 14 x 5.5 Ralleye wheels. This axle has a 2.71 ratio and I want to change it to either a 3.21 or a 3.55, whatever I find first.
I see trucks, vans and Dakotas in the wrecking yards with 8 1/4" axles, Jeeps too. I know that there was some point where they changed spline counts or something, some time around 1997? Years back I found a 3.55 in a Dakota 4wd, it had a clutch type SG....What a score!
What years do these gears and carriers interchange?

I just did a 8 1/4 in My 73 duster. Got a complete rear from a 96 Dakota and used the Sure Grip carrier only. 27 spline axles and had to change the side bearings and races. In 97 they changed the spline count to 29 IIRC. Check FABO 8 1/4 thread lots of info should answer most of your Qs and raise a few also. The SG carriers are still available new. Got a set of 355s left over if you are interested.

Auto Transport Service
Back