• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When to service the Radiator / Tranny cooler

OzzyOzB

Local time
7:37 AM
Reaction score
Do I REALLY have to service the Radiator if it's fine? LOL ???
I bought my car a couple years ago and it had "sat" for the traditional answer of "four years". Anyhow, I eventually got it roadworthy and have been driving it for over a year now. I never really went through the Radiator or the Tranny Cooler (727) ...I had bigger fish to fry. Anyhow, everything "seems fine" but now I'm wondering if neglecting the radiator is shortening it's lifespan. I'm also worried a bit that if I have it serviced, it'll suddenly spring a leak that can't be repaired, and be no good.
Just looking for an opinion other than what I'll get asking the guy whose business is servicing radiators for a living. It does look like it's the original radiator from 1969.

The cooling system is the most neglected system on all vehicles! It's your car, do what you want, but what does the book say when to service it????

Not knowing what, if any, service history I'd do a coolant system flush and inspect the T-stat. If it's gummy looking, get a new one, they are cheap. You can do this DIY to save money with a back-flush kit, if it doesn't have one. How does the trans oil look? Another DIY can be dropping the pan and replacing the filter. Crappy job w/o a lift; but done it enough times laying on the floor. At my age I'm taking it to a shop for this chore.
Vehicle that has sat for an unknown period of time should have all fluids changed among the throng of things to inspect.

Change the coolant. It's at least 4 yrs old. You could also test it or at least look at it to see if it looks bad.
Like others have said, it's yours, do what you want. Peace of mind is worth something.

Change the coolant. It's at least 4 yrs old. You could also test it or at least look at it to see if it looks bad.
Like others have said, it's yours, do what you want. Peace of mind is worth something.
Yep, if there's no service history to be had - should start making your own.

Alright, the local Radiator guy said he'd service the radiator (flush, pressure test, and check T-stat, hoses, and refill etc) and blow out the cooler for $165.00
Sounds like that's a pretty good deal.
I went ahead and ordered a set of GATES hoses, to swap out while he's doing it. The original hoses look pretty rough on the ends.
Thanks for the input guys. Have a great day.

The engine's been running nice and cool. Do you guys have a recommendation on what "temp" thermostat to install in a 426 Hemi?
It gets a wee bit hot out here in Fresno. I don't really have a Chiltons, or factory service manual to reference, and amazingly enough Google has been less than helpful.

At the dealer we would recommend 2 years/24,000 miles. We don't drive our cars that much but every few years would be a good idea. I just saw every 3-5 years recommended on the internet. I used to add a can of cooling system conditioner to mine every year or two but all those now have stop leak. That isn't needed (or wanted)

Last edited:
With multiple vintage Mopars I've run over the years, I've always paid the piper when I ran one that didn't have service history. I've ended up re-coring a few radiators that were flushed and pressure tested okay, only to have problems later. My third and fifth GTXs had new cores and service history, did the 3-5 service on them, and had no troubles. Current GTX has no service records, and only ran 1000 miles after an OEM restoration was completed 20 years ago. I drove it to Carlisle last week and overheated. It goes in the radiator shop next week for a new core and hoses.

Everything's fine... until it's not. At the very least, a cooling system flush. Next, belts and hoses. I recommend a 180 t-stat, as I have for over half a century.

Maybe different tips and opinions on t-stats, they seldom have issues with causing overheating unless they’re bad, not operating correctly or from crud build-up. The general gist is having the engine coolant flow through the radiator at 165, 180, etc. When cold (climates) the idea is to allow motor to get hotter sooner for defrost/heat sooner. Accordingly, a higher temp opening stat. In warm weather/climates no need for delaying the flow (could be other reasons, but this is what I’ve gathered). Buddy having overheat issues removed the stat, not what I suggested. Stat does restrict coolant flow and serves to allow the radiator to do its job – cooling it running thru the rad. Ultra-fast flow reduces cooling thru it.

During a car cruise with a lot of stop and go, more stopped for lengthy periods…his motor overheated. As my ride is only driven in warmer months and sits in a heated garage, I have a 165 stat and a coolant ratio of around 35%. Researching led me to lower the coolant mix as higher anti-freeze ratio as I understand can retain more heat. Among a number of things I did when having motor heat hassles.

The engine's been running nice and cool. Do you guys have a recommendation on what "temp" thermostat to install in a 426 Hemi?
It gets a wee bit hot out here in Fresno. I don't really have a Chiltons, or factory service manual to reference, and amazingly enough Google has been less than helpful.
You're in Fresburg?! I run a 180-degree (high-flow) thermostat in my 600ish hp stroked RB and no issues here in the valley.
I've found that a 180 is right for just about everything that is mostly street driven.

I've found that a 180 is right for just about everything that is mostly street driven.
1689794870635.png

Fresh coolant every few years, regardless of mileage. When you run glycol coolant beyond its service life, you can get silicate drop out which creates a gel like substance that plugs cooling system components.

Auto Transport Service
Back