• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where Do These Wires Go?

1969VAGTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:57 PM
Reaction score
As part of my exploration under the hood on my 69 GTX, I discovered these couple of wires dangling. Any thoughts on what they are or where they go? I have read through the wiring diagram in the service manual, but this is admittedly my weak spot with these cars. The black wire (yellow arrow) appears to be coming from under the car (like towards the transmission). The connector with gray wire (orange arrow) is coming from the harness. I don't see any obvious signs of something not connected.
IMG_8617_LI.jpg

IMG_8618_LI.jpg

The gray should be for the tachometer. Looks like it is in the engine harness. The other end should be at the coil. The black looks like it might be added. The terminal on the end is not factory. Where does the rest of it go?

Gray wire for tach?

Edit got treed.

The gray should be for the tachometer. Looks like it is in the engine harness. The other end should be at the coil. The black looks like it might be added. The terminal on the end is not factory. Where does the rest of it go?

So if there is no tach, then the gray wire is just a dead end?

The black wire appears to go down under the car, but I did not get under to follow it. Guess that would be the next step. It just looks to be hanging with no apparent connection. It obviously doesn't fit in any factory connector slots or the bulkhead.

So if there is no tach, then the gray wire is just a dead end?

The black wire appears to go down under the car, but I did not get under to follow it. Guess that would be the next step. It just looks to be hanging with no apparent connection. It obviously doesn't fit in any factory connector slots or the bulkhead.
Yes. There would be another part of the harness with a rubber grommet running it to the tach inside the car. Next you need to tell us where the black goes?

I would speculate the black one might be a spare for the neutral safety wire.

Yes. There would be another part of the harness with a rubber grommet running it to the tach inside the car. Next you need to tell us where the black goes?
The black wire runs down under the car, has a connector (like it is rigged up) and changes to a gray wire. That wire then appears to have been taped up into the wrap for the wires coming out of the neutral safety switch. The neutral safety switch at the transmission looks right. I followed it up in the direction as far as I could see to the starter, but then couldn't follow anymore without getting the car up in the air. Not sure where they might have routed that extra wire. It is just a loose dangley wire from what I can tell.

The black wire runs down under the car, has a connector (like it is rigged up) and changes to a gray wire. That wire then appears to have been taped up into the wrap for the wires coming out of the neutral safety switch. The neutral safety switch at the transmission looks right. I followed it up in the direction as far as I could see to the starter, but then couldn't follow anymore without getting the car up in the air. Not sure where they might have routed that extra wire. It is just a loose dangley wire from what I can tell.
If it was hooked to the middle pin on the NSS it could of been a bypass for a problem. Sounds like the previous builder was sort of a hack.

Auto Transport Service
Back