• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

White Exhaust Smoke

Listen for gurgling noises from the radiator right after driving it.
Okay took the car out on a hot summer day here in New Orleans and got the temperature up higher than I usually do by really working the engine. I parked the car and **** it off. I do hear a "hissssing" sound coming from the radiator. Does this indicate an issue? Thanks

Okay took the car out on a hot summer day here in New Orleans and got the temperature up higher than I usually do by really working the engine. I parked the car and **** it off. I do hear a "hissssing" sound coming from the radiator. Does this indicate an issue? Thanks
*shut it off
HAHA Sorry.

No, when a motor gets hot sometimes it gives a little hissy as the pressure is dwindling. Coolant boiling point is reliant on the ratio of coolant you have in it. You can test this with a cheap bulb meter. What did your gauge read? I won't fully depend on the dash gauge, especially an old one. I have a digital thermo I've used to verify engine temp btw it and the gauge.

On a side note, since on this topic, when I had troubles with higher engine temp doing some research, found that a higher mix of coolant can elevate engine temp. Obviously, up here in the north we need to be concerned about cold weather. Typical here is a 50/50 mix. For my old Plymouth, it only is driven during the warmer months and sits in a heated garage. So I reduced the mix to around 35% coolant and engine temp lowered. Well, I did several things given the added HP after rebuild; 7 blade, found an OEM shroud, top seal, but did the coolant ratio last and seemed to have an impact. Oh, did some changing with oil visc too.

Not to be a jerk, but I hope you know to NEVER pull the radiator cap when an engine is hot? (I can tell you are new to old cars..) I had a buddy in high school that pulled the cap on his Barracuda. The hot water blew out and scalded him badly on his face, neck, and hands.

No, when a motor gets hot sometimes it gives a little hissy as the pressure is dwindling. Coolant boiling point is reliant on the ratio of coolant you have in it. You can test this with a cheap bulb meter. What did your gauge read? I won't fully depend on the dash gauge, especially an old one. I have a digital thermo I've used to verify engine temp btw it and the gauge.

Not to be a jerk, but I hope you know to NEVER pull the radiator cap when an engine is hot? (I can tell you are new to old cars..) I had a buddy in high school that pulled the cap on his Barracuda. The hot water blew out and scalded him badly on his face, neck, and hands.
Thanks for the concern. Yeah terrible danger.

no oil in coolant? no milky oil? adding an occasional qt of oil? sounds like valve stem seals. does your smoke evaporate? will the exhaust wet a piece of cardboard or paper after it reaches running temp? just my guess

Auto Transport Service
Back