• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who is rebuilding B body manual steering boxes?

Moparbuzz

Local time
3:48 AM
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me who is rebuilding, or where is the best place to get a rebuild B body manual steering box
Thanks Mike

You can get them at most auto parts stores, including RockAuto. Lares is the rebuilder, part number 1030

Bought one years ago from them, no problems with it.

Easy to do yourself. Having done it I can't see many parts needing replacing. Mainly cleaning, a couple seals and reassembly and adjustment - all per the FSM. Seals are over-the-counter stuff at bearing supply shops. The bearings themselves should not need replacing.

If you'd like to keep yours try Steer and Gear.

Easy to do yourself. Having done it I can't see many parts needing replacing. Mainly cleaning, a couple seals and reassembly and adjustment - all per the FSM. Seals are over-the-counter stuff at bearing supply shops. The bearings themselves should not need replacing.
I concure and the full rebuild kit is so cheap from Firm Feel you may as well have everything ready and on hand. I show the complete re and re in my '69 Bee Restoration thread... it's early in so on the dodgecharger site... Now Complete Restoration / Pulling my 1969 'Bee down for strip and paint - Page 11

PST makes NEW manual boxes.

I've rebuilt a couple. Be advised that there is a special tool to remove the sector shaft without dumping all the ball bearings. Been there, done that. The refill is Deere Cornhead grease.

This is what I bought. Pushed the shaft out and keeps the bearings in place. Factory tool.
20141019_133604(1).jpg

Well I don't own that tool but I probably would use my imagination before buying a tool I'd only use once or twice! Anyhow, don't remember 'cause it was a long time ago.

Auto Transport Service
Back