• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Windage tray OR oil pan baffles?

19bee70

Local time
6:07 AM
Reaction score
I am so amazed at the willingness of our members to answer questions! I know I'm grateful for the help and I do have a question on this topic....does a baffled afternarket oil pan negate the need to use a windage tray? I know my BB came with one but the need to get an aftermarket pan due to the engine mods, it seems it's impossible to find main studs that accommodate windage trays. Am I not investigating well enough and is the answer really staring me in the face??

I am so amazed at the willingness of our members to answer questions! I know I'm grateful for the help and I do have a question on this topic....does a baffled afternarket oil pan negate the need to use a windage tray? I know my BB came with one but the need to get an aftermarket pan due to the engine mods, it seems it's impossible to find main studs that accommodate windage trays. Am I not investigating well enough and is the answer really staring me in the face??
No, you should still us a windage tray

If your engine is a BB. The windage bolts to oil pan rails, you need two oil pan gaskets. Studs are SBs or Chevies. If you switch from bolts to studs a align hone MAYBE needed.

If your engine is a BB. The windage bolts to oil pan rails, you need two oil pan gaskets. Studs are SBs or Chevies. If you switch from bolts to studs a align hone MAYBE needed.
Holy crap....I hadn't thought of that and hadn't looked at the old tray! It's been apart for years, so I guess memories do slip! lol At any rate that makes sense now. I think the studs might be over kill for my 500hp 440.

Auto Transport Service
Back