• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Yellow Wires

Jim McAdams

Local time
4:19 PM
Reaction score
The yellow wires on both sides of my car under the dash have been cut about 6” after they came out of the harness. From what I can tell from wiring diagrams they are for the door switches.(which are non existent at this time). Are the yellow wires supposed to have 12 volts to them? Because mine have 12v currently. I’m trying to understand the wiring before buying door switches but I’m confused because in my mind the 1 wire going to the door switch would be ground not 12v.
Help me understand.

1968 Charger

Thank You

Last edited:
The yellow wires on both sides of my car under the dash have been cut about 6” after they came out of the harness. From what I can tell from wiring diagrams they are for the door switches.(which are non existent at this time). Are the yellow wires supposed to have 12 volts to them? I’m trying to understand the wiring before buying door switches but I’m confused because in my mind the 1 wire going to the door switch would be ground not 12v.
Help me understand.

1968 Charger

Thank You
No. They are grounded by the jamb switch.

No. They are grounded by the jamb switch.

The yellow wires are carrying 12v from the dome light to the door jamb switch. The switch is grounded by threading through frame. To me it seems not right to have the yellow connected to the jamb switch which is connected to ground. Equaling a short. Am I missing something?

You are getting a feedback through the bulb filament.

Pull all the bulbs that are on that circuit and there will be no more feedback voltage on the yellow wire. You also can ground the yellow and see what comes on.

The yellow wires are carrying 12v from the dome light to the door jamb switch. The switch is grounded by threading through frame. To me it seems not right to have the yellow connected to the jamb switch which is connected to ground. Equaling a short. Am I missing something?
It's a ground that is needed, not a short. Power goes to the light bulb, then to the yellow wire to the switch. When it is grounded (door is open) then the circuit is completed and the light can go on.

A light bulb filament is essentially just a very fine wire. The door jam switches ground the light or lights. When the current is flowing across the filament the voltage drops across the bulb. No current or open circuit will read battery voltage.
Normally the switch is on the positive side.
So you need to think about the physical arrangement.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I think I found the issue. The dome light was on constantly. Looks like the wrong bulb was being used. The bulb type was getting ground from the housing and then the housing was getting ground through the mounting screws. Now have to buy the correct bulb which I believe is a BA15D.

Auto Transport Service
Back