• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

“Bullitt,” and one of the most famous car chase scenes ever filmed, turns 45

Pops1967GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:45 AM
Reaction score
:headbang: The Need for some Bullitt......:headbang: Put on a seat belt

[video=youtube;qgQfm0yW9aE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgQfm0yW9aE#t=17[/video]

Love that scene !!!!

That's a great scene Pops, too bad the Charger gets blown up instead of the Mustang, I could watch that car chase scene, nearly everyday...

Love it. I just noticed something funny. You should never be able to see the passenger in the rear view mirror unless it's tipped over his way where the driver wouldn't even be able to see it. LOL

I read that they had to extensively modify the Mustang to keep up with the bone-stock Charger to be able to film the scene.

If I remember right it was a 390 Mustang and a 440 charger. When they were getting ready and practicing the chases the Charger left the Mustang behind easy. I even saw a picture of the Mustang front end with a wheel laid over with a ball joint or a frame broken. No matter what it has great car chases in it.

I heard both cars were heavily modified but the Mustang more so.

I remember seeing that in the theater with a girl friend when it first came out. Absolutely amazing chase. There had been nothing like it before on film.

If I remember right it was a 390 Mustang and a 440 charger. When they were getting ready and practicing the chases the Charger left the Mustang behind easy. I even saw a picture of the Mustang front end with a wheel laid over with a ball joint or a frame broken. No matter what it has great car chases in it.

I've read that the Charger was modified to make it slower so that the Mustang could keep up. The Mustang had a different cam, head work, headers, etc...The Charger was bone-stock and I read that they put skinnier tires on it to give the Mustang an edge on handling. Before filming the took both cars to a local circle track for testing and the Charger lapped the Mustang.

Charger was bone stock. Read an interview w/ the producer a number of years ago in a mag (may have been MCR) that said Mustang had been modified but after they drove the Charger, they left it alone.

Love it. I just noticed something funny. You should never be able to see the passenger in the rear view mirror unless it's tipped over his way where the driver wouldn't even be able to see it. LOL

That's exactly what I thought when I watched it the first time....being an ex-Charger owner. :D

Last edited:
For years I have wondered how a 3000 lb Mustang pushed a 4000 lb Charger around when the collided.

I've read that the Charger was modified to make it slower so that the Mustang could keep up. The Mustang had a different cam, head work, headers, etc...The Charger was bone-stock and I read that they put skinnier tires on it to give the Mustang an edge on handling. Before filming the took both cars to a local circle track for testing and the Charger lapped the Mustang.

this is Fact.
the dodge outran and outperformed the 390 mustang considerably.
Mcqueen also had trouble getting the left at the bottom of the hill,and kept overshooting it.
bud Ekins was the stuntman,i cant recall who the mechanic was,maybe max.
if i recall correctly,there was 2 stangs,the one was given to a secretary and had to be rerented back to finish some scenes afterwards.
the rest of the cars were junked.

ahh,here we go.
i got curious as to details.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062765/trivia

Saw it the theater when it came out and when going over the hilly streets your stomach really felt it like you were in the car for real !! Ironically it was in san fran where i saw it !!

in all the mods on the stang, i want to know what trans they installed??? judging by the shifting it must have be a 12 speed !!

LOL....the Mustang never made the top 20 fastest cars with exception to the 69 429 car that at best I believe only made it to 13 with MANY Mopars and I believe the AMC red white and blue 390 4spd car even beat it.

Auto Transport Service
Back