• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Charger rear coil overs

Rangepony

Local time
6:06 AM
Reaction score
OK...so I just got home with my "New" 1966 Dodge Charger. Going through all the paperwork I can see where the previous owner had all new bushings etc replaced in the front end but went with air shocks on the rear.....I really don't like the feel of air shocks....

Any recommendations on the proper/best coil overs to use on the rear?

14.jpg

Good leaf springs are a must before any changes. I have added these to several cars with great results.
20240425_131932.jpg
20240425_132056.jpg

Cool...I'll check these out....the car has new heavy duty leaf springs already installed. I think coil overs will smooth the ride.

Usually, coil over shocks are used with a 4-link, not sure why you would want to use them in conjunction with leaf springs. You must really want a bone jarring stiff ride.

Usually, coil over shocks are used with a 4-link, not sure why you would want to use them in conjunction with leaf springs. You must really want a bone jarring stiff ride.
I understand...I want to lift the rear very slightly and firm up the ride. Might go to an adjustable shock and a longer rear perch...

I understand...I want to lift the rear very slightly and firm up the ride. Might go to an adjustable shock and a longer rear perch...
Without any photos, you probably need a new set of rear springs. Call ESPO and put your order in. THey are a few months behind on filling orders. Air shocks and spring type overloads are just band aids for 50+ saggy old original springs. Longer shackles too.

Don’t be scared of air shocks!

I’ve got espo +2” springs and air shocks on my car, firm but comfortable ride :thumbsup:

The shocks I posted in (#3), will give you about 3/4" lift and a smooth ride. Monroe also has a very good coil over shock that will achieve the same results. As you stated you already have new springs, I see no problem.

Auto Transport Service
Back