• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 non-Rallye tach - on the cheap (or near to it, anyway)

Gotcha. Sounds good. If you don't hear from me, I'm trying to figure out what to do about the backlight insert.

-Kurt

You've got email with these little guys:

1968-mopar-tach-render-5.png
1968-mopar-tach-render-6.png

-Kurt

Now this is what's great about our forum. Two members, working together, to create something that the rest of us can use. I love FBBO !!!!!!! Thanks guys. Can't wait to order one.

Now this is what's great about our forum. Two members, working together, to create something that the rest of us can use. I love FBBO !!!!!!! Thanks guys. Can't wait to order one.

Got my fingers crossed it'll be a success, but I think the whole thing can probably be sold with the gauge for all of $60, if you're willing to sand/paint it yourself. Even cheaper if you want to buy the $9 gauge separately :p

-Kurt

You know, for all the problems and money I'm throwing at my instrument clusters, I can't believe that I saw this and instantly got the spend even MORE money on finding a real '68-70 certified speedometer to add to my already tach-equipped cluster that's on the way.

I'm nuts.

68_Plymouth_Satellite_DV-06_BJ_int-03.jpg

-Kurt

It so happens that my 3D printing service had to issue me a credit for a failed printing (something completely unrelated) and they were also offering a 5% off coupon, so I wound up ordering a test set from them (no offense, Dan - the excitement was too much) and ordered a spare detail plastic facing to send to Dan.

That said, the PLA-printed backing mount lets the tach sit 3-4 millimeters too deep in its housing, but - otherwise - the result is phenomenal! I even received the instrument cluster that I bought on eBay with a factory-original tachometer just a few minutes after assembling the 3D printed unit, so I put them side by side for a comparison.

I'll let the photos tell the story:

IMG_5141.JPG

IMG_5142.JPG

IMG_5144.JPG

IMG_5145.JPG

IMG_5146.JPG

IMG_5147.JPG

IMG_5149.JPG

IMG_5150.JPG

IMG_5153.JPG

-Kurt

Great work Kurt! Everything looks great... but that needle. Not sure I can get over the needle.

Neither can I - which is why I hope the whole dash cluster sells for at least $100. Gives me something to buy the RTE parts with.

Pretty sure a Sunpro oil gauge would have a more palatable needle...

-Kurt

Neither can I - which is why I hope the whole dash cluster sells for at least $100. Gives me something to buy the RTE parts with.

Pretty sure a Sunpro oil gauge would have a more palatable needle...

-Kurt

RTE parts?

RTE parts?

This. It should get the original back up and running:

http://rt-eng.com/rte/index.php/RTE_67-74_Tach_kit

Apparently, the old board is fried, and I'll probably have to make a new stud isolator too, as the original fiber isolator cracked - apparently, the back end of the tach was dented in shipping. Already fixed the shell damage in the hydraulic press though, and just have to 3D print a better (and more reliable) PLA isolator.

-Kurt

This. It should get the original back up and running:

http://rt-eng.com/rte/index.php/RTE_67-74_Tach_kit

Apparently, the old board is fried, and I'll probably have to make a new stud isolator too, as the original fiber isolator cracked - apparently, the back end of the tach was dented in shipping. Already fixed the shell damage in the hydraulic press though, and just have to 3D print a better (and more reliable) PLA isolator.

-Kurt
Are you talking about the tach I sent you? It was damaged?

Are you talking about the tach I sent you? It was damaged?

The speedo nub had poked out of the box (seems to be common - the other unit that was shipped to me also poked its way out + the mounting tabs in the front breached the box. That one didn't have the RR/Belvedere bezel on the cluster you sent me that would have protected the front) but the tach seemed to have taken a hit from the inside without breaking through.

Should have taken a pic, but didn't. Not your fault and a small price to pay for an original tach.

-Kurt

The speedo nub had poked out of the box (seems to be common - the other unit that was shipped to me also poked its way out + the mounting tabs in the front breached the box. That one didn't have the RR/Belvedere bezel on the cluster you sent me that would have protected the front) but the tach seemed to have taken a hit from the inside without breaking through.

Should have taken a pic, but didn't. Not your fault and a small price to pay for an original tach.

-Kurt
Well that’s disappointing. I paid extra for full insurance on that if you decide you want to pursue it.

I bought that cluster off eBay years ago. It came in the same package I sent it to you in. The box left in perfect shape as I received it. The only difference is it was shipped to me via UPS. What did FedEx do? Drive over it with a truck?

Well that’s disappointing. I paid extra for full insurance on that if you decide you want to pursue it.

I bought that cluster off eBay years ago. It came in the same package I sent it to you in. The box left in perfect shape as I received it. The only difference is it was shipped to me via UPS. What did FedEx do? Drive over it with a truck?

Nah, FedEx is a pain on insurance, and they'd probably want it back. But I can take photos of the damaged fiberboard if you want to give it a try.

Box looked good, but those clusters tend to have a lot of stored momentum, even with lots of wrapping. I usually put styrofoam over the speedo end and tape a box around the pins to be 100% safe. Worked well the last time I shipped one out.

-Kurt

Nah, FedEx is a pain on insurance, and they'd probably want it back. But I can take photos of the damaged fiberboard if you want to give it a try.

Box looked good, but those clusters tend to have a lot of stored momentum, even with lots of wrapping. I usually put styrofoam over the speedo end and tape a box around the pins to be 100% safe. Worked well the last time I shipped one out.

-Kurt
Yeah, I'll see about filing a claim and see where it goes.

Auto Transport Service
Back