• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 Charger Superbee Tribute/Restomod Build

You're almost making me wish I had pulled my dash. I was wiring up some last night and it's a mess.
Having done a fair number of these in one degree or another, pulling the dash is the only way to go. That said not pulling the dash does give you a chance to really stretch out and do some car yoga... LOL

Your doing great work on everything. I enjoy electrical work so the updates lately are great! And Whoa, nice pipe bender!
Thanks, I will post some detailed pictures if you or someone else is interested. I was thinking that the electrical pics were boring.

In that vein, here is a pic of how I am doing my Holley harness, I do not like the relay and/or fuse dangling behind the dash some where so I am mounting them. The fuse is screwed to the bottom of the glove box and has easy access. The relay is mounted behind the glove box via a thumb screw in case it ever needs to be replaced. Now I am working on mounting the coil drivers which are most likely going to be mounted with velcro to the back of the glove box.

IMG_9224.jpg

I took a little detour in that while thinking some things over I realized that I do not have any way to pull the car from the rear short of putting a strap around the rearend. This is going to be a necessity soon because i have to move my car out and put my friend's 70 Roadrunner in so we can install the 572.

While thinking this through, this is what I came up with, they are not super thick (1/4) but they should be fine for light pulling and even strapping down. If needed I will beef them up at a later date.

IMG_9215.jpg
IMG_9216.jpg
IMG_9221.jpg
IMG_9222.jpg
IMG_9223.jpg

The dash is ready to be installed finally. I also took a closer pic of the electric air grabber switch.

IMG_9226.jpg
IMG_9227.jpg
IMG_9228.jpg
IMG_9229.jpg
IMG_9230.jpg

Big day today, I managed to get the dash installed with the help of my son and daughter. Unfortunately my coil drivers could not stay where I had them bc they hit the Vintage Air unit so I will have to figure something else out for them. Also I have to stuff all of that Holley harness through the hole in the floor which will be fun.

IMG_9235.jpg
IMG_9236.jpg
IMG_9237.jpg

Big day today, I managed to get the dash installed with the help of my son and daughter. Unfortunately my coil drivers could not stay where I had them bc they hit the Vintage Air unit so I will have to figure something else out for them. Also I have to stuff all of that Holley harness through the hole in the floor which will be fun.

View attachment 1630183View attachment 1630184View attachment 1630185
I had plans for mounting the coil drivers, relay and fuse, but it worked out pretty well just shoving them into the void. If they rattle around or want to fall down I'll revisit it. I'm curious what you come up with.

I had plans for mounting the coil drivers, relay and fuse, but it worked out pretty well just shoving them into the void. If they rattle around or want to fall down I'll revisit it. I'm curious what you come up with.
The relay and the fuse are hard mounted so no issue there, we will see what I can figure out with the coil drivers. The "upside" here is that I made everything modular so if need be I can remove the Holley harness if I decide to rework the harness some.

After some cussing and maneuvering I was able to get the Holley harness through the hole in the floor I created and get it routed up into the engine compartment. It "seems" like it is going to be plenty long in most cases which means I will not have to lengthen too much although I might shorten some. I still have to get the DRW harness installed but the larger part is done for now.

IMG_9240.jpg

Got a lot of movement on the car recently, thus far I have;

- Got the DRW cable in and routed
- Got the steering column in and connected
- Got most of the sensors connected
- Did a mock up of the steering wheel, shifter and seat

I did have a couple of issues. First off I discovered that the column has to be lowered to connect the starter switch which is on the side of the column (GM built Mopar Tilt column). I also discovered that in 2019 they changed the oil pressure sensor so the Holley harness will not connect to it, which means I had to order a new one (for a pre-2019 G3 Hemi).

The mock up with well and it fits good but if I was any taller or fatter it would be tight. I think I am going to modify the seat runners and push the seat back about an inch. The tilt column adds some distance from the non tilt version.

Unfortunately I had to pull the car from the shop and replace it with my buddy's 70 RR which we are putting in this 572 with a TKX 5 speed
IMG_9291.jpg
IMG_9296.jpg
IMG_9297.jpg
IMG_9253.jpg

When the seats get redone with new foam, the height increases. I found that out on my 65. Went from a nice height to touching the headliner. It already had the seat risers adjusted to the bottom setting. My old foam was dead and crumbling.

When the seats get redone with new foam, the height increases. I found that out on my 65. Went from a nice height to touching the headliner. It already had the seat risers adjusted to the bottom setting. My old foam was dead and crumbling.
Right now the height is not an issue as far as I can tell (didn't look all that hard at that aspect), its more the distance to the steering wheel. With the seat all the way back I am in a decent position but a little on the tight side and as you say, once the seats are redone with new foam and all, that will move me closer to the wheel even if only a slight amount.

In stock form the wheel bolted directly to the column but in the configuration I am using I have to use an adapter for the 9 bolt wheel and that is 2" thick which is valuable real-estate.

My seats had no adjustment for recline, other than the risers which were maxed out. The wheel was rubbing my thighs after the new foam was installed. I gave the seats to a friend with a 65 who was in need. Going Procar for the new plus a smaller diameter tiller. But no chrome, welded chain unit. Even if I've been eating Mex food lately.:lol:

My seats had no adjustment for recline, other than the risers which were maxed out. The wheel was rubbing my thighs after the new foam was installed. I gave the seats to a friend with a 65 who was in need. Going Procar for the new plus a smaller diameter tiller. But no chrome, welded chain unit. Even if I've been eating Mex food lately.:lol:
LOL... yeah the chrome chain wheel is more of a chebby deal anyway...

I can easily enough modify the seat track to move the drivers seat back say 2 inches or so which would then give me some adjustment. I have a long way to go before I am going to worry about this. I have to get this 572 put into this Roadrunner...

I bought some procar seats (model 1614 I think) for this car and while I like them ok, I think they are too narrow for the car and will look weird. Not sure what I will do with them but I will probably find a project to put them, perhaps my 70 RR when I get to that.

1711554577552.png

I don't remember which Procar unit I'm going to use but the catalog is marked. I plopped my butt in their seats at the SEMA show so its not for the skinny jean crowd.

Question, was looking at one of Supergluehero's latest posts and his TTI headers are insanely low to the ground, is that what you're running, and are they super low to the ground also?

Yeah I read that too but didn’t see a pic, I need to look closer at mine but I am very sure mine do not hang low. I need to get a pic but I am using TTI mounts as well

Auto Transport Service
Back