• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 GTX Build

Just a tease, still waiting on the rear wheels today.

image.jpeg

Almost ready to come home for reassembly. Wet sanding started and hood will get finished soon. Then the real fun begins. I have so many parts to start detailing and getting back on the car. The motor should be finished in a couple weeks.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Dash frame was blasted and epoxy powder coated. Sanded and applied some filler in a few areas to level out some pitting. Also put down a few coats of high build primer and will sand that tomorrow. Still undecided about taking the dash back to the original black or going with a hot rod satin black.

IMG_1538.JPG
IMG_1539.JPG
IMG_1543.JPG
IMG_1544.JPG
IMG_1537.JPG

Wet sanded the dash with 600 grit today and got started on the front grill. I wet sanded with 220 then 400. I am using SEM metallic bumper coater. No adhesive or primer required. The finish is nice, but there are a few areas I need to sand down. Otherwise, I love this stuff. Here is a pic of one partially finished compared to an unfinished side. I will probably clear coat this later as well.

IMG_1545.JPG

Just a few more items to button up at the shop and the car should be coming home on Thursday or Friday. I need to lower the back a few inches, otherwise, I couldn't be happier with how it's turning out. Still have so much to do, but seeing the car to this point made all the money and time spent worth it.

IMG_1548.JPG
IMG_1549.JPG

It's the little things that make me happy, like seeing the emblems back on the car and the air grabber hood.

IMG_1570.JPG
IMG_1566.JPG
IMG_1567.JPG
IMG_1569.JPG
IMG_1568.JPG

Man that is one fine looking car! Question for you. how hard was the conversion for the wilwood disc brakes in the rear along with the E-Brake? I am wanting to do discs on mine and really like the way yours look. I was also researching the Borgeson power steering. Was it hard to shorten your steering rod?

Man that is one fine looking car! Question for you. how hard was the conversion for the wilwood disc brakes in the rear along with the E-Brake? I am wanting to do discs on mine and really like the way yours look. I was also researching the Borgeson power steering. Was it hard to shorten your steering rod?
The conversion in the rear is more a matter of calculation of your pedal ratio if you switch to manual vs power steering to order the correct bore size master cylinder if you plan on using theirs - 71 B Body pedal is 6:1 approximately :). The Rear kit comes with all the stuff needed to mount the disks to the axle - you just need to know your offset measurments (mine was 2.5, but that info is on their site as well). However, what they don't tell you is you need to get the flex lines that go from the calipers to the hard lines - this starts to add up. Willwood makes an emergency brake cable with the proper clevis connections and what not, you just have to order it all. There is also the cable from brake pedal through the firewall & grommet that you will need to order. As far as the steering goes, Bergman makes an adapter that allows you to connect without having to cut the steering column shaft, and they make a nice seal to boot - http://bergmanautocraft.com/proddetail.php?prod=5-0010. That is the route I am going. Hope this helps.

Craig

That helps alot! My car is currently at the beginning stages of body work so I am researching everything I can and going to start getting stuf so I can eventually put it back together. I was thinking the axles had to be replaced to be able to go to discs. Thanks!

That helps alot! My car is currently at the beginning stages of body work so I am researching everything I can and going to start getting stuf so I can eventually put it back together. I was thinking the axles had to be replaced to be able to go to discs. Thanks!
Fortunately, you don't need to change the axles, but make sure the shop keeps the spindle nut, washer, and retainer. These do not come with the kit and they assume you will keep them for re-use. I also changed my bearings on the axle while I had it out. I blasted the and powder coated the rear end housing, and changed from 3:23 to 3:55. If all things line up according to the speed calculator, I should be in the low 12's if I ever take it to the track. However, I have never raced before so it will probably be more like the 14's :).

Car has been lowered 2 inches in the back and the rear bumper test fitted while I finish the taillight housing and wiring. A few more pics because I just can't help but get all giddy about the car :)

IMG_1483.JPG
IMG_1484.JPG
IMG_1485.JPG
IMG_1486.JPG
IMG_1487.JPG
IMG_1488.JPG
IMG_1489.JPG
IMG_1490.JPG
IMG_1491.JPG
IMG_1492.JPG

Appreciate the compliments. Hopefully, I should have the engine back in the next couple weeks. The builder has had the block and heads for over a year. I haven't had much time to work on the little side projects because my son has been sick and nobody is getting any sleep at the moment. Poor little guy can't catch a break, and will need surgery again to fix the issues with the chronic ear infections. I guess it works out because it's hunting season is here, and I need time away from this to let my bank recover and get ready for the holidays.

Some pics of the engine build. Been over a year at this shop, but his work is worth the wait.
IMG_1655.JPG
IMG_1656.JPG
IMG_1659.JPG
IMG_1658.JPG
IMG_1657.JPG

Can't wait till the day I fire it up.

Auto Transport Service
Back