• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 GTX Build

Cars looking great. Did you find all your body stampings? Can you tell me where they are. I need to find mine. Rad support cowl and trunk lip. But where? Thank's

Cars looking great. Did you find all your body stampings? Can you tell me where they are. I need to find mine. Rad support cowl and trunk lip. But where? Thank's

1. Upper Cowl drivers side usually under the plastic screen.

2. Trunk Lip - not there starting in 71

3. Rad support - driver side top on the inside.

Hope this helps.

IMG_0251.JPG

1. Upper Cowl drivers side usually under the plastic screen.

2. Trunk Lip - not there starting in 71

3. Rad support - driver side top on the inside.

Hope this helps.

on a 71 gtx built in windsor on the rad support in on the top and not the side like the st louis built cars and on the LA cars the number is on the top of the cowl driver side it's not under the plastic screen like the St louis and windsor cars.

Last edited:
Roller motor, cool beans.

Thanks - I have quite a bit wrapped up in this engine and still looking at small fortune to get all the other components. I have to say that I am hitting that stage again where I can't see the end of the tunnel on this project. I caught a glimpse with the body work being complete, but all the items that have to be replaced, sourced, restored, or repaired to make the car complete is a bit overwhelming and discouraging.

I know it's hard but you will get there. I have had mine since 2013 and mine is now going to paint so I am about a year away from being where you are right now. As hard as it is, remember to enjoy this part of it because this is what makes it all worth while. You may have a different view point on it or have already done another project but I keep thinking of that time when I will finally turn the key and here the engine roar to life then the first time I put the car into gear and roll down the street. I keep imagining the smile on my face when that happens and how much joy it will bring me. I am sure you thought about all this but I hope this helps.

If this was easy everyone would do it :)

Crahill I hear ya. But keep plugging away. If I get discouraged with what I'm working on I move to something else for a while. I've been bouncing between engine compartment & interior work right now, with a little exterior work on the side.

i hear ya about the car i had mine since 2005 and it's still not on the road but it will be this year don't give up.

I like to do all the mechanics and brakes after I paint the engine bay. Then when I get bored I can do some burnouts and get inspired

Thanks - I have quite a bit wrapped up in this engine and still looking at small fortune to get all the other components. I have to say that I am hitting that stage again where I can't see the end of the tunnel on this project. I caught a glimpse with the body work being complete, but all the items that have to be replaced, sourced, restored, or repaired to make the car complete is a bit overwhelming and discouraging.

I think we all hit that stage. I hit a point where I had a TON into the car, and had a TON more to go, but couldn't stop because i wouldn't get half back at that point (body done, just before paint stage). I HAD to keep spending to keep going even though it hurt. Take a breath, be cautious with your vendors (get everything in writing), but leap. It'll come through in the end.

sjd

I really appreciate the encouragement from everyone. I have been traveling for work quite a bit lately so my mind has taken a break from the car which is what I needed. I just finished paying off the machine shop and now I need to save to get all the bracket, belts, and accessories. However, it was nice to see the engine taking shape, but I may have screwed up and didn't check my hood clearance and I am hoping this will all fit . The engine will stay at the machine shop a few more weeks while they get their Dyno building built. It will then spend a day on the dyno getting dialed in and adjusted. I have come this far, so what's a few more $$$.

GTX-Engine1.jpg
GTX-Engine2.jpg
GTX-Engine3.jpg

Looking good. I need to figure out a kick down and throttle bracket for mine (BB motor though)

Looking good. I need to figure out a kick down and throttle bracket for mine (BB motor though)

Lokar makes an adjustable cable that eliminates having to find the right combination of parts. That is the route I am going and should eliminate a lot of hassle.

Thought I read somewhere here about Lokar's cable set-up that some people didn't like...IDK. Not sure what the kick down is on my car now. The guy who rebuilt my tranny and rear-end got it for me

You may need a drop base air cleaner for sure.

Crahill, you might have issues with that intake set-up as far as sitting up too high. It sure looks nice though, might have to go with an RPM intake. Is that a Quick Fuel carb?

BTW-Same air filter and valve covers I have!

Auto Transport Service
Back