• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

71 GTX- electronic ignition conversion

71GTXdragpack

Local time
5:50 PM
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm about to install a Proform electronic distributor and conversion kit on my GTX. I don't want to drill any new holes on my firewall to install the orange box. All the existing holes are used for ballast or voltage regulator etc.
Any recommendations on where? I understand the box needs to be grounded.
thanks for your help!

I made a plate and mounted mine on the rear of the engine for my 71. I ran an additional ground from the mounting bolt to the firewall. You can see it hiding back there.

IMG_1943.jpg
IMG_1836.jpg

Been there 2 years no problems. I do keep a spare in the glove box. There is an air gap under the plate as it sits on top of the valley pan hold down. I can get a better pic later.

Here is a shot looking down at it and the plate it self. It's 3/16" flat stock drilled and tapped 1/4"-20 to mount it.

IMG_3645.JPG
IMG_3646.JPG

Use a GM HEI 4 pin module, mounted on a heat sink to the dist body. Less wiring, less connections to fail. Switch to an E core coil, which allows removal/bypassing of the bal res. And a spark with more energy, 0.060" plug gaps.....

Info & pics on the web.

Karl, here's a good video for HEI conversion.

thanks buddy! Look forward to seeing you once the car season starts. I bought the Proform conversion kit last year. Was considering adding the Petronix kit instead but was talked out of it due to reliability issues. I really want to keep the stock appearance and get the benefits of electronic ignition.

Use a GM HEI 4 pin module, mounted on a heat sink to the dist body. Less wiring, less connections to fail. Switch to an E core coil, which allows removal/bypassing of the bal res. And a spark with more energy, 0.060" plug gaps.....

Info & pics on the web.
Way better than the late model "Proform" set ups.

Auto Transport Service
Back