• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 charger rallye production numbers?

fatecaptured

Local time
11:54 PM
Reaction score
I'm interested in the rarity of my 72 charger rallye Hard top.
How many were made? How many were hemi orange? How many came with 440's? And how many had half vinyl tops?

Hemi orange

440 magnum

Power windows

Power disc breaks (front)

Bucket seats w/ slapstick console

Rallye dash with clock not tach

half vinyl top (black)

Hard Top

Power steering

Bulge hood

Hidden headlights

You cannot cross reference options to determine how many of a specific combination were made. There is no version of the Marti report, available to Ford owners, like there is for Mopars.

You can find out some of the information you listed ( ~3,431 Rallye equipped Hard tops for '72 and there were no more than 620 440 automatics and 165 four speeds available) but you cannot put together different options to come up with a number.

Besides, every car is 'one of one'. ;)

I don't know too much about researching besides google,lol. Never thought i would have a rare mopar. I do own a 70 coronet. But it was an original 318 hardtop with manual breaks and power steering. Not to mention most everything has been changed on the c-net so was never really worried about the production numbers. Thanks for the info:upside down:

Thanks for the Pm's and interest in my thread. It seems that my Rallye may be a little more rarer than i had hoped. If it is in fact equipped with a sure grip like the previous seller had said. Than it may in fact be a car of 1 of 289 cars for that year. 124 w/323 sure grip and 165 w/355 sure grip. I totaled up the two for my base estimate. Will check into that further.
Can it be? Could I have lucked out. Lets hope so. Thanks again.:eusa_dance:

Where are you getting that info?

I have a 72 SE with a 400 4 barrell, front and rear sway bars and a 3.23 SG
...and a/c. I wonder what the numbers are on that combo. It's optioned like a rallye, but it's an SE.

I was pm'ed from a member who had stats sent to him from Galen Govier about his 72 charger rallye. This member called me and he read off the 72 charger stats. How many cars came with what and what. I'm hoping that he will post the stats for everyone who wants to know the answers. The thing that distinguished mine was that (if im correct) is that only 124 (323) sure grip were installed in 72. and 165 (355) sure grips were installed. Now the quest i didn't ask was if this was pertaining to all 72 chargers or just the rallye chargers. He did state that there was some 40,000 chargers made in 1972. I wish i would've wrote down every detail from the conversation. Hopefully he chimes in with the facts .

Wow, i did a search on Galen , and i guess there's allot of disappointed people out there cuda-challenger.com. this is the first i've ever heard about it, but then again i was never worried about originality before.:sSig_noob:

I find it somewhat hard to believe that out of 40,000 (which sounds low to me) cars built, only 289 had limited slip axles.

I think the number of 73 Chargers sold was in excess of 120,000. Although that was the highest sales of any year Charger.

I was gonna make a rallye clone out of my 72, since it needs so much metal work anyway, but now I'm having second thoughts. If it's a "1 of 50" SE 400-4 SG A/C car, I should probably put it bcak that way.
It is a Lynch Road car, so lots of things aren't coded (like the axle), but you can tell it is original.

One thing to watch out for with Galen and his reporting style, is that he uses terminology like "one of fifteen known to me".

Lots of people think that means one of fifteen built, but it really has NO MEANING whatsoever.

Hey thanks for the links guys. The 620 was mentioned in my conversation over the phone. What i understood was that the sure grip package only came on a few rallyes. So i was referencing those numbers. Vin reads WH23U2A. will post fender tag when i get home after work today.

OK so here is the fender tag as it reads minus the cereal number of the vin number for security reasons.

01105 135025 774 046
G11 P31
26 G37 L37 N23
V4X U V21 C16 H51
EV2 E6X9 TX9 A26 113277
E86 D34 WH23 U2A

I have some of it decoded:

-sport chrome mirrors
-electronic ignition
-concealed headlights
-26" radiator
-V4X (black) top color
-EV2 body color (hemi orange)
-stripe
-console
-046 differential

If anyone has any input or can decode this further, i'd be much appreciative

:3gears:

Hmmm. What decoder gave you 046 as the axle?
My code in that area is 043.
The "MyMopar" decoder returned- unknown
(funny it also didn't get E68!)

I thought the top line on Lynch Road cars was gate sequences.

If SG axles were rare in the "performance" oriented Rallye cars, how rare are they in the Luxo SE?

I know I'm not really helping you, but this thread sure is helping me!
I'm starting to think I may have a rare one.
I found a roof for my 72 today. Just have to make plans to go and cut it off.

I was actually looking for an EV2 Rallye, and that's what caused me to buy the 72 SE!

Can you post a pic or two of your car?

Just for the hell of it- here's mine:

WP29:
Dodge Coronet, Charger
Premium
2 Door Sports Hardtop

P2A: 400 255HP(net) 1-4BBL 8 CYL
Lynch Road, MI, USA
xxxxxx: Sequence number

E68: Unknown (400-4)
D34: Light Duty Automatic Transmission
HT8: Dark Tan Poly Exterior Color
V3X9: Trim - Unknown, Cloth/Vinyl Bench Seat, Black
TX9: Black Diamond Int. Door Frames
B27: Build Date: November 27
xxxxxx: Order number

V1X: Full Vinyl Top, Black
U: USA Specifications
H51: Air Conditioning with Heater

26: 26in Radiator
G37: OS Dual Racing Mirrors
L37: Concealed Headlamps
N23: Electronic Ignition System

G11: Tinted Glass (all)

03110: Unknown
141267: Unknown
807: Unknown
043: Unknown

Ran it through this vin tag tool mentioned in the thread i just posted: http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=87

WH23: Dodge Coronet, Charger
High
2 door hard top

U2A: 440 280 HP(net) or 290 HP(net) 1-4 bbl 8 cyl.
Lynch Road,MI,USA.

E86:
440 CID 4 barrel V8 (High Performance) 375 hp

D34: Light Duty Automatic Transmission

EV2: Hemi Orange Exterior Color

E6X9: Trim-unknown Vinyl Bucket Seats, Black

TX9: Black Diamond Int. Door Frames

A26: Build Date: October 26

V4X: Unkown Top Color ( was determined by my phone call , X stands for black)

U: USA specifications

V21: Performance Hood Treatment

C16: Console w? woodgrain panel

H51: Air Conditioning with Heater

26: 26 in Radiator

G37: OS. Dual Racing Mirrors

L37: Concealed Headlamps

G11: Tinted Glass (all)

P32: Power Windows

This is all it had information on, the rest of the top of the tag came back as unknown.
What I understood was that the numbers are the matiching numbers to the drive train.
My next question is can someone verify the sure grip production numbers and how many came in the rallyes and se's ? And how to know if its got one. I know the jack the car up trick. But was just wondering if it was tagged and where the tag would be located.
Its been 106 degrees outside so i haven't got the nerve to go wiping of grime in this blistering heat. Especially after spending all day in a miserable hot factory...:glasses9:

I was the one that called fatecaptured and gave him the stats and options on the 72 rallye charger.I got it yrs ago when i registered it with galen's service,he sent me the sales and option sheet for all the 72 chargers.I am on the road now but will be back home the last week of this month for vacation.I will take a picture of the sheets i have if the print isn't to small.It gave the total number of chargers produced and gave a percentage of what cars came out with certain options which turned into a certain number of cars

Hey thanks again roadrunner man, didn't want to put your name out there without your consent.

not a problem.If anybody else wants the info i will try and get it up the next time i get home or they can pm me their phone # and i can call them when i get home and have info in hand.Also i think i have the option sheet for 71 chargers also but won't swear to that.

Auto Transport Service
Back