• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 charger rallye production numbers?

Thanks RRman.

Fate- your option combo is almost exactly what I was going to clone mine into!

Interesting that the mymopar tag decoder doesn't even agree with their own engine spec page.
That page lists the 72 440 as 330HP- not 375.
At least it got E86.

This is the first time I've heard of the "0" number being the axle code.
That would be a great discovery for me!!
Obviously whoever programmed the mymopar tag decoder didn't know about it either.

If yours is a 3.55 and mine is a 3.23- then logically the "6" in yours could be a reference to 3.5 and the "3" in mine to 3.2.
I wonder if the "4" denotes SG.

I may go to my storage today and look at my 73. It's a 7 1/4 axle, and a Lynch Road car.
I'll see what it has in that area. I'm expecting a much lower number- like even "002".

I looked at my St Louis plant Satellite tag, and there's nothing there.

I wonder what Hamtramck Historical has about this.

We DO have a Lynch Road tag expert on this board, and a former Lynch Road employee!

If Lynch Road coded the axles and none of the other plants did....wow!

I previously never cared for LR tags because the didn't code everything.
I may have to rethink that.

This a quote from Dodge charger.com forum . So I'm not coming up with this out of thin air.. "There wer only 11 440 autos with the 3.55 rear ratio"... referring to the Rallye coupe WL21 440 auto 3.55 cars. So that's great for the coupes,lol. Still searching for the holy grail here.

Ok, so I'm in distress. As i'm learning and researching things out. I've read that without the broadcast sheet, there is no way to identify the charger as a Rallye. I go to check some things out and i see a damn charger-se emblem on the passenger dash. I've also read that there is a distinct difference between the quarter panels or quarter glass. So much to my despair i'm clinging to the hope that its not a clone job. But it wouldn't be the first time i've been screwed over.

If someone can post these differences , please give me a helping hand. Can't believe this is happening...

:BangHead:

Well it seems that the quarter glass is squared on the s.e.'s. so hopefully someone just threw in a s.e in the car. Even though there's no rear sway bar in the car, it does have the mounting holes in the frame. I will check the door tag tomorrow. Hopefully i'm just getting out of sorts for nothing. Hope so.

01105 135025 774 046
G11 P31
26 G37 L37 N23
V4X U V21 C16 H51
EV2 E6X9 TX9 A26 113277
E86 D34 WH23 U2A:

01= gate
105 = base (both related to production of body in white)
13505 = sequence number (also related to BIW)

Here's a good article on Lynch Road built cars:

http://maxwedge.com/articles/lynchroad-gate-line.php

774 = engine assembly code = B body 440-4 with Automatic and A/C
046 = axle assemby code = B body 8.75 with 3:55 gears, 11" brakes. A36 axle package

807 = B body 400-4bbl with Automatic and A/C
043 = B body 8.75 3.23 and Sure Grip; 10" brakes

Well it seems that the quarter glass is squared on the s.e.'s. so hopefully someone just threw in a s.e in the car.

The WH VIN tells us it's not an SE (WP VIN) so somone threw in the emblem.

~165 1972 Charger WH built with 440-4 and A36

Maybe this will help?

I have a few old books lying around and found this?

45,361 1972 Chargers with WH23U2 Body
440ci_production_numbers_sheet.jpg

Source: Moparfan.com

Last edited:
The WH VIN tells us it's not an SE (WP VIN) so somone threw in the emblem.

~165 1972 Charger WH built with 440-4 and A36

Where do you get a number like this. I thought you could only could tel lhow many cars with a certain drivetrain or a certain option. Not combine them and get a smaller number?

Larry

72 hardtop rallye
440 4bbl
785 auto
165 4speed

72 coupe rallye

440 4bbl
28 auto
11 4speed:headbang:

Where do you get a number like this. I thought you could only could tel lhow many cars with a certain drivetrain or a certain option. Not combine them and get a smaller number?

Larry

GG's 72 Charger Options and Accessories Report does list that breakdown.

72 hardtop rallye
440 4bbl
785 auto
165 4speed

Help me understand something....

The O&A report lists 124 440 four speed total for 72 WH23 cars. How could there be 165 in the Rallye's?

01= gate
105 = base (both related to production of body in white)
13505 = sequence number (also related to BIW)

Here's a good article on Lynch Road built cars:

http://maxwedge.com/articles/lynchroad-gate-line.php

774 = engine assembly code = B body 440-4 with Automatic and A/C
046 = axle assemby code = B body 8.75 with 3:55 gears, 11" brakes. A36 axle package

807 = B body 400-4bbl with Automatic and A/C
043 = B body 8.75 3.23 and Sure Grip; 10" brakes

So I take it that the (046) axle package is a non sure grip package?:tearyeyed:

So I take it that the (046) axle package is a non sure grip package?:tearyeyed:

Reread my post...the 046 code indicates the optional A36 axle package. The 3:54, 3:55, 3:91 and 4:10 axle packages came with SG as part of the package. You're are kind of missing the big picture. Don't focus on the SG aspect, focus on a car that has the axle package. The SG was just one part of the package.

What you've posted so far indicates a car equipped with a 440-4, automatic and the A36 axle (3:55 gear)package. Nice find.

Reread my post...the 046 code indicates the optional A36 axle package. The 3:54, 3:55, 3:91 and 4:10 axle packages came with SG as part of the package. You're are kind of missing the big picture. Don't focus on the SG aspect, focus on a car that has the axle package. The SG was just one part of the package.

What you've posted so far indicates a car equipped with a 440-4, automatic and the A36 axle (3:55 gear)package. Nice find.

Don't focus on the SG? From what I was told from RRMAN, was that there were only 2 SG's available in 72. 3.25 and 3.55

Is this not correct? Doesn't the sure grip option make it that much more valuable?

I understand its probably worn out or whatever, but I suppose i'll get the floor jack out and go check it out. Seems the heat has broke here.

Don't focus on the SG? From what I was told from RRMAN, was that there were only 2 SG's available in 72. 3.25 and 3.55

Is this not correct? Doesn't the sure grip option make it that much more valuable? Yes. By 72, only the 3:54 Dana and 3:55 A36 axle packages were available. SG was available as a stand alone option too. No the SG doesn't make it that much more valuable.

Again, BIGGER picture....quit focusing on just the SG component. It's not that big of deal to have it. You could have a 318 automatic with 3.23 and SG. So?

Focus on a 440 with A36 = THAT'S what's cool.

Oh that sux. Guess I miss read that. My bad. Was gonna actually send them a check and request one,lol.

I guess I was getting excited about the sure grip. Never had one, thought it would be cool. And yes I'm not down grading what I do have. Just splitting hairs a presume. The charger s.e. emblem on the dash through me for a loop. Maybe the dash was damaged and all they could find was an s.e. a/c vent piece? Hard telling, I was getting all out of sorts. My girl friend was trying to calm me down. I was ready to call the previous owner and rip him a new arse for selling me a fake rallye.

Last edited:
Well I had the chance to speak with "69Coronetrt" over the phone. Good stuff! Spent the better part of an hour getting up to speed on the production numbers and option packages. First we went through the car "I physically, 69Coronetrt over the phone". It seems to be a rallye. As 69Coronetrt stated (and this i didn't know) that the drivers door did in fact has the correct vin and would've said void on it if it had been removed. He also put my worries at rest when he (69Coronetrt) said that no one would spend that much time to forge a 72 charger. Something like an H2 car would be more likely. And also how my car had all the evidence of being a true rallye: Aged louver doors and bulge hood along with the louvered taillights.
Way too much to jam into this thread, but some highlights that (69Coronetrt) taught me was:
1). The bulge hood was a rallye only option.
2). Only 1,571 Hemi Orange Chargers (hard top models) were made in 1972.
3). The fact that we don't and can't know how the rallyes were equipped ( I.E. hideaway
headlights and colors).
4). The differences between net horse power (rear wheel HP) and gross horse power
(engine HP).
5). All numbers are about, not exact (I.E. 165 could mean 160 or 170).
6). Of the WH23 cars, about 165 440 automatics came with 3.55 axle packages(which was a sure grip package only). No way
to tell how many are rallyes.
7). About 3,183 Chargers came with the Rallye packages. (A57 option/ not on Lynch RD.
tags).
8). About 22,000 chargers (all models) cam with concealed headlamps.

Now. I'm hoping I did well in taking notes and hope this clears up some of the claims and questions posted mostly by myself in this thread. My whole intention is to find out the facts and be able to possibly help others like myself that were born decades late and love these cars. Thanks again everyone who has taken an
interest in this thread. And thanks to
RoadRunnerMan and 69Coronetrt for taking
the time out to call me and share your
knowledge.

Last edited:
Fate, if i remember you weren't sure what you were going to with the car when you got it,all i did was put a spark of interest to you.You were the one that did most of the work to find out what you had.I would have been just as excited as you to find out that i had a rallye charger,and i am excited you found that out. I have spoken with 69coronetRT on the phone and have bought some books from him.He is another one of those top-notch guys you will find on this forum.I hope you enjoy your charger and look forward to seeing what you will do in the future with it. If you still have my phone number saved it the PM i sent you,don't be afraid to call me anytime you need too.

Thanks a bunch guys.

So LR coded engine and axle on their own, after the gate and sequence codes?
Anything else up there?

Where can I get a list of those codes?

thanks!!

Auto Transport Service
Back