• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AAR Fibreglass Rear Bumper. Shedding Lbs.

That sounds interesting, what power plant would you use?

WOW..... inspiring! Although I’ll admit I really liked the Hemi scoop look, the work you produce is something to admire! Keep the posts coming.

Thanks LW. Appreciate the compliment. Yeah, it's hard to beat the look of a Hemi scoop. My old hood can always go back on in a jiffy. Just need to repair the torn inner structure first. Those scoops catch a lot of wind! But I can see another glass hood in the works at some point. One from AAR that would take the force of the open scoop.

With this glass hood I had originally cut the hole for a 14" element. I increased that to a 16" and here is the leftover piece from when I opened the hole up. .044 fibreglass thickness. Imagine a 5" hemi scoop bonded to that at 130+.
IMG_1945.JPG

IMG_1856.JPG

That sounds interesting, what power plant would you use?
It's completely original, 318 auto, 440 model, no power nothing. Paint on the top is half baked off. I have the 526 that came out of the Plymouth just sitting here..

Malex you made that front bumper from a sows ear into a silk purse.
LOL! Fran, if I had to pay a body shop to get that fibreglass looking like it does I'd need to mortgage the house!

That would be a great sleeper. I always wanted to take a BB Cordoba and make a sleeper out of it.

Let me know if you ever decide to drag that machine out West, Malex. I’d love to see it in person and meet its author! Have you ever raced at Mission BC, Spokane, or Pacific (Seattle)? NHRA Division 6 Finals are at Boise next year..... My plans are to be there. You?

Let me know if you ever decide to drag that machine out West, Malex. I’d love to see it in person and meet its author! Have you ever raced at Mission BC, Spokane, or Pacific (Seattle)? NHRA Division 6 Finals are at Boise next year..... My plans are to be there. You?

Excellent invitation that I will take up in the future LW! I've heard that Mission is a nice track and that local cars from my parts run 2 to 3/10ths quicker at Mission due to elevation. Also interesting to hear about Boise! Yep, can see some road trips coming, will let you know.

What is the elevation where you run Malex?

What is the elevation where you run Malex?

I believe it’s either 16 or 1800’ but now have to check. I’ve heard that there’s 2 tracks, Mission BC and Gimley Man and both are at or near sea level. Something else this rookie needs to learn about. Elevation, air, on and on.
On another note my Fibreglass plenum that I made took some paint this morning. Looks just like the bottom of the hood- porous. Once the foam is applied it will seal to the hood nicely. The problem with this design though is that more carb spacer will mess things up. Will deal with that when that time comes though.
C66964AA-C814-4F64-85B0-C92227994FB4.jpeg

916AD662-4447-4590-8C0B-E788D9C35529.jpeg

Mike, if you mean the track in Gimli, Manitoba, the elevation is 719 ft; compared to 1580 ft in Saskatoon.
Mission, BC is close to sea level, but that is a long tow.

Mike, if you mean the track in Gimli, Manitoba, the elevation is 719 ft; compared to 1580 ft in Saskatoon.
Mission, BC is close to sea level, but that is a long tow.

Thanks 65! I'll be making note of that. I must be mistaken but I was sure that a friend who has raced at Gimli said that track was right at sea level. Likely mixed up with Mission it appears.
I'm not sure what difference elevation makes but will find out sooner or later. Sure like the look of your 65 too! Do you race it at all?

I believe it’s either 16 or 1800’ but now have to check. I’ve heard that there’s 2 tracks, Mission BC and Gimley Man and both are at or near sea level. Something else this rookie needs to learn about. Elevation, air, on and on.
On another note my Fibreglass plenum that I made took some paint this morning. Looks just like the bottom of the hood- porous. Once the foam is applied it will seal to the hood nicely. The problem with this design though is that more carb spacer will mess things up. Will deal with that when that time comes though.
View attachment 545447
View attachment 545446

Update:
The fibreglass plenum in finished form.
IMG_1956.JPG

Seals tight to the hood all the way around, will be able to report comparisons next season. Cowl verses hemi scoop.
IMG_1958.JPG

Not sure what guys do for prop rods but this is what I came up with.
IMG_1955.JPG

3/8" aluminum rod, spins 90 degrees from vertical to horizontal position. I didn't want to use a hockey stick handle that seems to be common in these parts.
IMG_1954.JPG

Gimli is definitely above sea level, but there are a few days each year with really good air. Maybe your friend was lucky enough to have raced on one of those days.
Generally, the closer to sea level, the better the air density (i.e., more oxygen), more HP, and a quicker car.
I have not raced the 65 yet, but that is on my to-do list.

:popcorn:
I’m just gonna stay here and enjoy the show!....
The engine it’s of the prop rod is really cool. I’ve never seen one like that. The only thing that I would question is that it’s right in the middle, where I would constantly be standing and reaching in from. (??).

:popcorn:
I’m just gonna stay here and enjoy the show!....
The engine it’s of the prop rod is really cool. I’ve never seen one like that. The only thing that I would question is that it’s right in the middle, where I would constantly be standing and reaching in from. (??).

I tried the prop rod on the side and this hood did some weird ****. Lol.. So I moved to the middle. I'm going to try the side again now that the hood is finished and see what it does.

Nice work, the new "rear" AAR Bumper, looks great
as normal quality work/craftsmanship & paint

you really made the best out of that "hood deal"
that's a cool design on the air plenum/box sealing too

Nice work, the new "rear" AAR Bumper, looks great
as normal quality work/craftsmanship & paint

you really made the best out of that "hood deal"
that's a cool design on the air plenum/box sealing too

Thanks Sir Budnicks! And yeah, for the amount that it cost I knew that despite the hours it would take I had to make something out of it. And with the rear open scoop it's not going to tear apart during a pass. Did you see Mr. Gaines new hood and scoop that he just picked up, I wish...

Thanks Sir Budnicks! And yeah, for the amount that it cost I knew that despite the hours it would take I had to make something out of it. And with the rear open scoop it's not going to tear apart during a pass. Did you see Mr. Gaines new hood and scoop that he just picked up, I wish...
Yeah it looks like nice stuff,
Glasstek & AAR are both great professional companies
to deal with too, no hassles, no excuses, no BS...

Looks good there Malex. I'd probably leave it in the middle. If it were on the corner it could warp some on a hot day.

Auto Transport Service
Back