• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AIR Shocks ???

Cranky I appreciate the help; I had the brackets turned wrong..... I apologize for coming into this post with a question that someone else started. Thanks again

I think we're here to help all of those that come into the same topic.....

Yeah i'm still not sure what to do the Spring are again brand new from Mopar XHD from
Mancini less than 2000 miles on the car from Resto . Putting the springs above the axel would do the trick but I assume I would have to weld in new brackets & not sure if I whant to go there. I notice Original factory photos & my car sits correctly I have 205 65 15 all around maybe a taller tire would help . again I can live with it but I also notice If someone rides in the backseat I can really notice the difference in the ride .

Yeah i'm still not sure what to do the Spring are again brand new from Mopar XHD from
Mancini less than 2000 miles on the car from Resto . Putting the springs above the axel would do the trick but I assume I would have to weld in new brackets & not sure if I whant to go there. I notice Original factory photos & my car sits correctly I have 205 65 15 all around maybe a taller tire would help . again I can live with it but I also notice If someone rides in the backseat I can really notice the difference in the ride .
You'll get more than 3 1/2" more height by placing the rear under the springs plus you'll have to mess with the correct angle so the U-joint won't wear out from too much angle....

i wouldnt put air shocks on for love or money. the only bad thing about shackles are that you can see them. they dont hurt your torsion bars and all they do is lift.... THATS IT. a long shackle acts and performs just like the factory ones....the only difference is they are longer.

I would like to lift the *** end of my 67' GTX up an inch or two I have new XHD leaf springs & new XHD Monroe shocks with a coil spring on the top of the shock with no real extra lift.

What opinions does anyone have on them Yea or Nea !!! The car used to have adjustable shackles in the rear of the leaf springs till I read that those are verry bad for torsion bar cars. then I converted to OEM style shackles & lost that extra 1- 2 inch extra lift in the rear that I liked soo much Thanks

Without reading the entire thread;

Air Shocks? There a load leveling device if anything. Performance shock? No way. Though people have drag raced with them.

I have used air shocks on my car for the last um-teen years with no problems, broken or bent parts. Though running around with them pumped up is not the way to use them. Again, there a device to help level the car in heavy load carrying times.

There is no issue with there use and our cars being a T-bar suspension design. Also, the use of extended shackles are not a problem if the extension is kept to a min. In the MP books, they do list a given amount of inch's for a safety stand point. I think it may have been 7 inch's, I do not remember right now. I myself would only do a few inches and call it quits after that.

IMO, it just becomes time to break some money out of the wallet when the springs get that bad.

I have use ESPO.com's 1 inch over bend springs to get my Dusters rear up for that hot rod look.

125 psi with air shocks ??

.....might as well use solid struts instead of air shocks and springs.
:headbang::headbang::headbang::VB toast:
LOL, That is great.

Using air shocks to lift the car puts a load on the upper cross-member that it was not designed to handle.

And it is just a band-aid.
Band aid yes, the upper cross member where the shocks are held in, maybe. Rusty old cars will have a problem.

And longer shackles allows the rear of the spring to move sideways a lot more under cornering loads. And it changes the pinion angle as well as the caster on the front end.
Bingo. While the front end can take a little lift at the rear without adjusting the front, IMO, as said before, proper usage of equipment is often ignored.

Long shackles are not good for any kind of a leaf spring car no matter what kind of spring is up front but raising the rear an inch or 1 1/2" doesn't seem to bother them but the best way is to re-arch the springs.

True! Like mentioned earlier about side to side swaying movement. Longer shackles are another band aid.

:headbang::headbang::headbang::VB toast:
LOL, That is great.

Band aid yes, the upper cross member where the shocks are held in, maybe. Rusty old cars will have a problem.

Bingo. While the front end can take a little lift at the rear without adjusting the front, IMO, as said before, proper usage of equipment is often ignored.

True! Like mentioned earlier about side to side swaying movement. Longer shackles are another band aid.

Pretty much agree with Rob. Just threw out a stack of air shocks. Another thing with air shocks is unless they are on seperate lines they make the car corner even worse. When going around a corner weight on the outside shock forces air to the inside shock lifting it even more.

Longer shackles will flatten the rear half of a Mopar spring and shock extensions will destroy most any shock.

My 66 belvedere was setting a little low. I had my factory springs re-arched and added one leaf. It raised my car up about 2 inches. The ride is lttle harder than factory but it still has a nice ride. Plus the cost was only $175.

I didn't want to deal with air shocks. They ride rough and slowly leak down. I never liked the look of the adjustable rear shackles. Seems like they were standard equitment on 63 - 64 ford galaxies because just about everyone I ever saw had them.

Last edited:
I got air shocks on my car... merely to give it just a slight lift. Just a hair above level. Runs about 40-50 psi. Says they are rated at 100psi. never would i load them up that much. My dad bought a 71 satellite sebring with a 440 and they had those adjustable rear shackles. that was the LOOSEST car i ever drove... rear end was all over the place.. I got a buddy, more of a "ya i know that guy" tha lifts EVERYTHING with those shackles. even the front end on his 4x4's.. I dont see how he drives them things down the highway..

my 2 cents... re-arch the springs, (one of these days i will shoot for some super stock springs) but if your budgeted, nothing wrong with a set of air shocks on a driver to help the ride height.. IMO

Auto Transport Service
Back