• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone installed these %$@$ interior clips?

I didn't Joe. Are you looking to see how they should be positioned?

Yes , I come across them every once in a while in my collection of parts and was thinking I should just put them in before I forget and the windshield goes in.

Maybe when I look at them closer it will be self explanatory.

Here is a good pic to show you the orientation.

Attachments

• head-liner-02.jpg
    head-liner-02.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 251
Yep. after the headliner and before the windshield!

If you need any of these rtspecialties.net had them for me, part number 1602020

No I have them. Well that throws another wrench in things. I was going to do headliner last, but guess not.

you could install the headliner around them, not a big deal. But I would personally do the headliner before the front and back glass is installed... so that sorta has the headliner going in first. You really could do any of these three things in any order if you had to.

I put my clips in after the headliner and windshield for instance.

Guess I'll go headliner, clips, and then glass. Jeff did you do your headliner?

I want to wait to see how Zack makes out. Otherwise I have a place that would do it but I'd have to get the car to them and then that's another project. Okay, I'm done.:icon_hang:

clips

Have you ever installed this type of clip? There are four of them and they are for an interior windshield header trim on my 64, probably others too.

Is there a trick or special way to install them? I know, I know, they look like they'd just push into the hole with the two tabs. They don't. I tried collapsing the tabs and then using needle nose pliers to spread them from the back once in place. Didn't work.

I spent about 45 minutes on one and gave up. I figured there has to be a certain way to get them on. Please let me know if you're familiar with them, and thanks.

1602020.jpg

you can buy them from r/t specialties,the tab in your photo goes in the hole and w/bent needle nose squeeze the clip together it should spread in the hole,if not tabs bend them out, or get new ones, we drilled out the tabs and heated a plactic body plug fender (well type) into the missing tabs and push it in.

Joe I had my headliner installed by an upholstery shop. I figured for the $200 charge it was worth it to get it installed nicely. My headliner itself cost $200 so I didn't want to screw it up.

I thought about trying it after reading some artices... it seems straightforward to me but I read a lot of 'practice makes perfect' stuff.

Attachments

• 115_1538.jpg
    115_1538.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 228
  • 115_1544.jpg
    115_1544.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 226
  • headliner.jpg
    headliner.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 232
If you use a sturdy set of curved needle nose pliers, it's actually not too bad. With the windshield in those are your magic bullet.
Good luck!!

Well thought I could use my old clips but they seem a little weak and probably have seen better days. I'm having my cousin in law come this week end to put in the new windshield and rear window, soooo I guess I'll just wait and install these clips after the windshield is in and the head liner is installed.

Now I have to purchase a pair of bent needle nose pliers.:icon_axe:

These f'ing clips are a b!!!!!tch to get in. Please tell me how the hell they are supposed to get in a hole with the tabs spread apart, seems as though they gotta be collapsed then respread, but thats hard to do with the headliner in. I need help on this one!!!!!

Zack- just collapse the tabs just enough to squeeze it through the hole. Then press it firmly against the sheetmetal and spread the tabs with the opposing tabs and you'll be set. That's how I did mine, I think someone mentioned that in this thread.

Now that I had all night to think about it, thats how I'm gonna do it. Guess it would help to read all the posts before asking...duh!!!

It took about 20 seconds to do 1 clip, now that was simple. Now I just gotta do the other 3 clips.

yep, it's actually not a bad design once you figure out how they are supposed to work. I was pretty puzzed.

Auto Transport Service
Back