• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CDN72SE's Restoration Thread

Without trying to sound to philosophical; people say it/they are just cars but too many of us it is so much more, I am surrounded by people that don't get it. That's fine if they don't but just respect the fact that it means a lot to me. Ok, the end, lol.

love seeing another 72 se I'm just waiting for my body man to get to my car and finish the bodywork so I can move on with the project but yours is looking great so far cant wait to see it done

This post has been very encouraging in the sense that I can do the smaller restoration things like you did while I wait for enough money to fix up the body

You're getting good results and I like that I'm not seeing any skim coats of filler.

My dilemma is that adding the options on my car puts the top dollar book value in the same neighborhood as a rallye or even a 71 R/T.

...and the uni-body is solid.

...but LOTS of dollar killing exterior sheet metal replacement.

love seeing another 72 se I'm just waiting for my body man to get to my car and finish the bodywork so I can move on with the project but yours is looking great so far cant wait to see it done

Thanks and Spencer, if you have a link to your project please send it along.

This post has been very encouraging in the sense that I can do the smaller restoration things like you did while I wait for enough money to fix up the body
Doing the small stuff keeps me feeling connected with the car since it has dragged on so long, feels like I am building a full scale model, lol.

You're getting good results and I like that I'm not seeing any skim coats of filler.

My dilemma is that adding the options on my car puts the top dollar book value in the same neighborhood as a rallye or even a 71 R/T.

...and the uni-body is solid.

...but LOTS of dollar killing exterior sheet metal replacement.

I'm sort of at the mercy as far as the bodywork goes, I can only trust that they are doing right by me.
Yeah that exterior sheet metal can definitely add up, I've been luck that I've managed to keep my car pretty solid since coming from North Carolina back in the day.

License Plate Brackets - Rear

Not in too bad of condition, let's see if I can clean it up a bit, here are some before shots.

Merged1_sml_zps6d469c8f.jpg

Merged2_sml_zps0179a72e.jpg

After:

img2986x.jpg

img2995i.jpg

Last one:

img2994m.jpg

Front

Soaked in Evaporust & then a couple coats of Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator.

Front_bracket_1_zpsjpqhdxhk.jpg

The sprayed with Extreme Chassis Black:

Front_bracket_2_zpsj77ebe39.jpg

Here's a few throwback pics:

1973/74 dual exhaust cut-out rear valance.
Sagging springs + air shocks = high rear end.
Exhaust ends under the middle of the car.
rear_zpsxzgfaypv.gif

Trying the red circle caps + body colour rims.
Year One fibreglass front spoiler missing piece due to hitting a low flying seagull while driving on the highway.
dog_dish_zpspkg87z58.gif

Western Turbines that came from my previous 72:
headlights_on_zps7uevovhb.gif

charger72, those inner fender braces look pretty good. The rubber on mine is cracked and worn, how would you go about either replacing it or repairing it?

Well one of my biggest restoration fears came true, got a text (not a phone call) from the owner of the resto shop saying he has terrible news. He says his fight to maintain overhead at the shop was lost after his horrific winter (lack of business) and he has been locked out of the shop. I need to remove my car this Saturday between 11am - 2pm. Says he is re-opening May 1st and the car is not in paint.

My wife was suspicious of him from the beginning, I had a few doubts but saw progress, then things seemed to slow down, wanting money in advance, no more update photos and what I realize now were mounting excuses as to why the car was not painted. Of course he is not answering my calls and I don't know if the car is assembled or in pieces. Guess I will find out in two days. Needless to say I am sick to my stomach.

So that's my update and wish me luck!

Auto Transport Service
Back