• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cracks in paint what are the options?

chrisd

Local time
8:28 PM
Reaction score
I can't reach my paint and body man right now, plus I'm afraid of what he'll say. so do I have to strip this down and start over? Paint cracks are deep and it's not in a place I can block sand it. Thanks for any input

20161105_144728.jpg 20161105_144739.jpg 20161105_144745.jpg

It needs stripped down. Often called liquor checking the paint has been contaminated with from the under side by something like a liquor type primer or paint.

It needs stripped down. Often called liquor checking the paint has been contaminated with from the under side by something like a liquor type primer or paint.
Once sanded down and cleaned use a good sealer before re-painting.

I was afraid of that. guess I hoping for an easy way out. I did find a way to sand the groove a little better than what I had.

20161105_155646.jpg

The only way to fix that is to get right down to a solid base....then start again. Looks like you've discovered an easy way to get into the groove. :thumbsup:

Got to remove it all the way. If you leave any, it will kill whatever goes on top. Too much material.

Got a styrofoam pool noodle to help with the sanding. It'll work better than the paint can. I'm concerned about stripper though. at what point does it stop? I plan on putting a vinyl top so the top line can be covered, but what about the rear line by the trunk.

Got a styrofoam pool noodle to help with the sanding. It'll work better than the paint can. I'm concerned about stripper though. at what point does it stop? I plan on putting a vinyl top so the top line can be covered, but what about the rear line by the trunk.
Ive have used heater hose & heater core hose for sanding blocks

If it was me I'd go to bare metal there and start from there. As was said that's a sign of chemistry problem and I'd want to make sure that was removed before I re-topcoated. An electric grinder/polisher with some abrasive pads would reduce that to metal in minutes if you don;t have shop air.

Grinder is an issue due to the shape of the quarter. I was able to sand it down with a lot of elbow grease though. Had to leave for work, so I put a quick coat of primer on it.

Rear quarter.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back