• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Don's 1969 Charger Restoration

Don't know what it's called in metal work ..but wouldn't a scarf join be stronger than a straight join?

I do luv your work though!

Yes polara you are right. Stay tuned and you will see how I did this joint.

Very nice. I wish I could cut like that with a Sawzall. I'm quite dangerous with one of those things in my hands.

Nice work, I'm sure it will come out perfect.

Cut the donor A-pillars

Next I took the 2x4 and clamped onto the donor a-pillar the exact same way. Except I moved it up on the a-pillar so that my donor section would be a little longer. (to allow for fitment, and error)

P1010062.jpg

P1010065.jpg

P1010067.jpg

Then I used my sawzall and cut off the donor.

P1010068.jpg

P1010070.jpg

Put it back on to compare to the jig numbers and was pleased!

P1010072.jpg

P1010073.jpg

P1010074.jpg

P1010075.jpg

Cant get any closer to a 1/16 over than that.
P1010078.jpg

The only thing I noticed that was different, was were the drip rail trim goes. About .015 diff.
I'm sure I can blend it.
P1010082.jpg

P1010084.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
More A-pillar work

I hope I'm not boring you guys! :sleepy4:
Let me know if it's to much detail. Or if you have any questions feel free to ask.

I cut the pass side a-pillar the same way as the drivers side.
Apparently this is the only pic I have.. sorry.
P1010094.jpg

Also did a little patching on the donor a-pillars
P1010112.jpgP1010114.jpgP1010115.jpgP1010116.jpgP1010118.jpgP1010119.jpgP1010120.jpgP1010117.jpg

I think you're the wrong kind of surgeon with these skills! beautiful work.

Amazing work Don and you make it look so easy. Now get that thing welded in place. I wanna see a finished car by the end of the week!!!!! LOL Here's a little motivation for ya. :)

[video=youtube;RdR6MN2jKYs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=RdR6MN2jKYs[/video]

Thanks, Bigblock..... I need all the motivation I can get! :laughing4:

Awsome job!!! Im doing a 72 charger now and sometimes i think its not worth it, but this site and you guys keep me goin forward!

Thanks Duster, I do it just for the reason you said, to give others inspiration just as those others gave me inspiration!

Awesome work! I was looking to see if you had shaved off the drip rail, thinking about doing that to mine while it's in the body work stage. Haven't decided if I'm brave enough to try it yet. Seeing the pictures of your drip rail removal gave me a lot of information. Thanks and keep up the great work!

Awesome work! I was looking to see if you had shaved off the drip rail, thinking about doing that to mine while it's in the body work stage. Haven't decided if I'm brave enough to try it yet. Seeing the pictures of your drip rail removal gave me a lot of information. Thanks and keep up the great work!

So Pappy, If you shaved the drip rail off, it would not be able to have a vinyl top right?
Cause the drip rail has the stainless trim, that helps hold the vinyl and hides the edge.

I'd kinda like to see some pics of Chargers with this done.

Rear seat hook fix

I noticed that my rear seat hooks were broke off the package tray support
P1010101a.jpg

I checked the package tray from the 4 door Coronet that I had parted out (I through nothing away)
and BINGO, I have one!
P1010106.jpg

So I spot drilled it out and welded it in. (sorry I didn't get a pic of it welded in)
P1010105.jpg

That's correct. Mine did have the vinyl top but I'm not putting it back on. I've decided to stay away from the drip rails. Looks like way more trouble than I want to bite off. I'm looking at doing something with the trim to give it a more updated look. :)

Off to the Blaster

Ok time to get the roof support off to the blaster
P1010121.jpg

P1010125.jpg

P1010126.jpg

Sorry I didn't get any pics at the blaster but her you can see them in the paint booth just before painting them with some epoxy primer.

20140527_160237.jpg

20140527_160246.jpg

20140527_160252.jpg

Ok time to get the roof support off to the blaster
Sorry I didn't get any pics at the blaster but her you can see them in the paint booth just before painting them with some epoxy primer.

Don . . . your work still amazes me as you make your way through this project . . . keep at it - one day we'll both be able to drive these things we're working on ! ! !

Auto Transport Service
Back