• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantomworks 6/27/17

harry heck

Local time
12:12 PM
Reaction score
im throwing this out there for future conversations. Tomorrow night my '69 A12 SuperBee will be featured on an episode of Fantomworks. I'd like to get some honest feedback, pro or con, on what was done. Thanks and I hope you all enjoy the show!

IMG_0941.JPG

Dvr'd too!

I`ll start it: It always gets me when he sets down w/ the owner and starts going over the B.S. !! Like they haven't talked about it before ??
So true, the sit down really is an opportunity to let the audience know what the end result involved before getting a look at the finished product.

i have mixed feelings on fantomworks. on the bad side, its mostly just more of the usual drama bs for tv, just like any other restoration show, he gets way too pissed off and worked up about things. sometimes easy fixes with a few parts that are readily available turns into "omg this car is a disaster and unsafe, we need a whole different car to start with, i need you to fly to canada and drive this much better car im paying $15k for back here or im not doing the project, yell yell yell, girl brings him a slushy/iced coffee to try to make him feel better etc etc"

but on the good side, hes got a legit shop, with very talented people working there. and he does know his stuff and has his eye for the details. his guys have engine knowledge, wiring fabrication skills etc. stupid things like the brakes on that willys jeep. most places wouldve assumed the system is an old design, it should feel like crap, the drums are new what could possibly be wrong with them. and take that time to double check them and throw them on a lathe to find they were out of round, then the thing stopped on a dime, with a stock system. he likes things original, but safe and not opposed to change and make the customer happy, unlike the guys on graveyard cars needing everything the way the factory did it (thats cool but only worth it on rare original cars, otherwise i think its overkill, i want to drive my car, not worry about scuffing some blue sloppy paint stripe on the torsion bar crossmember),

hes one of the reasons i even consider leaving my gtx as the factory did with drum brakes, because it show you can make them work good if you pay attention and take the time. and i like how they actually give prices. his numbers are real world and people dont get that. they think hes ungodly expensive but how many of us have actually added up every little receipt for every single thing weve done to the cars. from big things like $5k in sheet metal, plus freight costs, to the $3 hose clamp you ran out to grab at pepboys a sunday afternoon. i bet easily alot of us are in the $15-20k range on any project that we do correctly. then you put all the hours real craftsmen put into getting the car done right, and the end bill is actually reasonable for what you're getting. from an insider point of view, id really like to have your opinion of the shop. was he a nightmare to work with being the need for constant production value for tv, or were things more down to earth off the camera. you can wait till after it airs, obviously you dont want to spoil it for us.

I enjoy the show and watch it every chance I get at work during lunch, or breaks (I do not have cable at home).

Having said that, I never liked the 'alarmist mechanic' on these shows, or even the guys that run the local auto repair shops that I have done business with sometimes. This is the guy that the world's coming to an end because someone didn't do a previous repair the same way he would have, used a different component he does not like, or made a change that could be questioned. I've owned cars that have traveled 100K miles with repairs identified by alarmist mechanics as wrong and unsafe, etc. I've learned that there are hacks and jack legs out there that do shady work, cut corners, and have poor workmanship, but I've also learned that the alarmist mechanic can go overboard on the critique of someone else repairs.

Dan at Fantomworks does great work, but the alarmist attitude sometimes goes too far for me.

Sharp car.. I guess the question is if you are happy with the work they did? Oh...and DVR is set.

I just checked channel 246 on Dish and I couldn't find your car in the Fantomworks program descriptions. I found a Shelby, a Chevelle, and a '57 Chev. Is your car paired with any of these cars listed?

I just checked channel 246 on Dish and I couldn't find your car in the Fantomworks program descriptions. I found a Shelby, a Chevelle, and a '57 Chev. Is your car paired with any of these cars listed?
Yes paired with the '57 Chevy. The episode is "beauty and the bee"

If you're happy i wouldn't suggest asking for criticism, you may not like what you hear. Somebody can always find something to bitch about. People say some dumb **** sometimes about my cars, guess that's why I fit in better at the drag strip than a car show.

i really enjoy watching that show.one of the few car shows i can watch.Dan does seem over the top ,but he does say in the intro that he prefers cars to people.as long as he does good work he can be as crazy as he wants as far as i care.

Not a fan of Dan, but the work is done right and they care about quality control. Some excellent craftsmen in there.

I set the DVR, I'll check it out,
maybe I can last thru a whole episode :poke:

I'm not a big fan of the show or that owner {Drama Queen},
his attitude towards the cars actual owners
&/or what they want & like...
IMO you guide a customer, help them make good decisions,
not just tell them to do it one way or the hi-way etc.

I've said it in another thread here,
"I wouldn't let that guy touch my car" {his bad attitude/approach}...
Maybe I'll change my opinions about the show & him...

They do seem to have a thriving business,
he must be doing something right...
Might just be added drama for TV too...

I don't really watch that much anymore,
I didn't really like it, I watched only when something was on
that catches my eye...
But I'll admit it is better than the past seasons,
especially better than the 1st season was...
There is a couple of talented guys...

Following this thread. No high def, so no Velocity.

Dan seems to be quite the ******** sometimes, but his shop seems to do nice work, overall. They don't appear to be afraid of the weird, orphan ****, either; like the '60 Lincoln and the 1924 car that was so rare, they had to make most of the parts it needed. I watch it anyway, as it has really the LEAST drama of most of the "car shows", plus he doesn't plug advertisers through the show. I like that.

Auto Transport Service
Back