• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fender tag replacement

FYI... I just reviewed the 'Fiat Chrysler Automobiles - Historical Services - Build Records' website
that some of you folks had mentioned earlier on this thread - and you are right!
It looks like I'm SOL, getting any help there. The search continues... lol

FCA Research.jpg

Hi 69GTX...An outfit called "A.G. Backeast" can make reproduction Fender Tags, prett much an exact match to original, minus the "bent" corner or inspector marks. I had them redo one for my '71 Runner, very happy with the result, they seem to be reputable. Galen Govier can also do repro Fender Tags as well as i understand "MMC Detroit." Thanks for the challenge, info and pic on '68 Fender Tags Oldtimer and 69Coronetrt. A schoolin for me! I'm most familar with the '69 upward tag formats as most of my "library" so far, only covers those years and not older, i need to be more familiar though! Yeah, good idea to stick with LR only tags OT as they do vary from plant to plant...especially it seems '68 and older. I recall in our correspondence on my repo tag A.G Backeast was very concentrated on sampling '71 Saint Louis only tags, my car being a 71 Saint Louis car.

Yeah, bummer Chrysler historical has no surviving records 1968 or newer. I Came across this article from "Maxwedge.com/article..." Lynch Road build. Does'nt exactly address the endeavor here but kind-a-sort-a does.
In all this I now understand better the "S.O." refers to the VON number NOT VIN sequence #...duh on my part.

Screenshot_2017-05-04-02-54-58.png Screenshot_2017-05-04-02-55-05.png

Yeah, bummer Chrysler historical has no surviving records 1968 or newer. I Came across this article from "Maxwedge.com/article..." Lynch Road build. Does'nt exactly address the endeavor here but kind-a-sort-a does.
In all this I now understand better the "S.O." refers to the VON number NOT VIN sequence #...duh on my part.

View attachment 420386 View attachment 420387
It's ok...SO#; Half Split SO#; VON; VIN; Sequence; Series; SPD etc. etc. drives me crazy. I knew what you were talking about despite the VON/VIN error. Didn't feel comfortable correcting you, so let it ride. It's all good. No worries. Btw... It's funny you should add the Maxwedge.com article. I discovered that awesome website, last night and was going to reference it later today in FBBO too.

For anyone looking for more information on how the production line worked at A plant (Lynch Road), there is also a great (3) page story on Maxwedge.com written by Bob Roeskrans, reportedly and originally posted in Dodge News Magazine, back in 1965. My brain, isn't what is used to be - so I have to be content learning just a little info at a time :)

Quick Link ~ maxwedge.com/articles/cpu.php

Last edited:
I gott'a stop pulling these 'All Nighters'. I'm getting to old for this stuff. Plus, my better half, has me bottling 4 carboys of wine this morning with no sleep. My bad...lol.
Spent the night drafting an application e-mail and setting up 10 select images on Photobucket, for submission to [email protected] for consideration and potential entry into their 100,000 record Mopar database !!! This dBase was originally discovered within the Maxwedge.com website. Very Cool. Hopefully I can further my SPD research eventually, through this online medium. Time will tell. Wish me luck :)

Quick Photobucket Link (Illustrating Current '68 GTX Modified Build...
http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/68GTX440/library/1968 GTX Restoration?sort=9&page=1

Ongoing SPD code research - after comparing my '68 X's 'Partial' VIN to plant A (Lynch Road) '68 SuperBee production line data, specifically sequence numbers 1500 (+/-) to that of my own - would suggest that my '68 X has a SPD between '203' and '209', assuming of course, such a comparison is valid. So far, I am unable to confirm if X’s were on the same lines, or if their series numbers are completely unrelated, as this dBase contains no X data. Worst case scenario - it is - a starting point. More research is still required, which leads to another question..... Did the Lynch Road production lines typically run (24/7)? If not, referring to the below calendar, I could rule out 204 (Sunday) for example, as a valid SPD. Back in the day - many companies were closed on Sundays. I have yet to see a ‘68 SPD=204, but that does not mean there isn’t one out there somewhere. During this research and wanting to assess a potential ‘SPD’ V.s. the ‘Day’ of the week, my not having an APP, or some easy way of doing so, I spent several hours, generating needed data, and constructing not only a 1968 calendar for my own purposes, but a series of (1960-1969 and 1970-1979) ‘Old School’ Calendars for future FBBO reference. One such calendar, pertaining to my SPD research project, is shown below :) Keep On Rock'n !!!

1968 SPD Research Calendar.jpg

All others, are located within FBBO General Discussion.
http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/old-school-calendars-1960-to-1979.130418/

rule out 204 (Sunday) for example, as a valid SPD. Back in the day - many companies were closed on Sundays. I have yet to see a ‘68 SPD=204

I have read that the St. Louis factory was open and producing on most Sundays. Sorry I can't provide a reference source. The factory crews would be "mopping up" for problems left over from Monday to Saturday runs. Supposedly.

Add to this the incredible numbers of Road Runners to be made based on the wild success of the '68 model introduction (well documented) and I think reasonably that St. Louis ran 24/7 from August '67 to July '68. Just can't prove it. I'll assume that Lynch Road ran nearly non-stop.

You should not rule out a SPD with a Sunday date. My data base of 1968 BBodies from St. Louis, mentioned here on page 1 in March 2016, now numbers over 1050 cars. There are dozens of SPDs with Sunday dates, dozens more with Saturday dates. While this is a small portion, and yes uncommon, it happened with St. Louis cars, so I think it should be assumed to occur with Lynch Road. Remember that Lynch delivered about 33% more total vehicles than St. Louis, approximately 240,000 compared to 180,000.

I have never seen a holiday date for a St. Louis SPD, not once. But lots of weekend dates show up, even on a holiday weekend (Monday holiday and a Sunday date is stamped on the fender tag). For what it's worth.

Typically, there were two production shifts per day and overnight was used for restocking, maintenance and other normal facilities functions.

Sunday SPDs are not common but do exist. They are an exception, not a rule.

Just noticed your post. I have a 68 RR built at lynch. PM me for VIn (no fender tag either). Mike

Auto Transport Service
Back