• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the Love for my Father, My 69 GTX Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Comparison of original k frame bolts versus a set from Frank Badalson. They are a near perfect match. These have a high torque setting and I prefer to use the new ones versus the originals....

IMG_1635.JPG
IMG_1636.JPG
IMG_1637.JPG
IMG_1638.JPG

Installing the motor and trans went perfectly smooth...Little music, some brews, AC pumping and some finesse....
The front lift is from US Car Tool...
The motor/trans dolly is a redneck special straight from J's garage.....
IMG_1639.JPG
IMG_1640.JPG
IMG_1641.JPG
IMG_1642.JPG
IMG_1643.JPG
IMG_1644.JPG
IMG_1645.JPG
IMG_1646.JPG
IMG_1647.JPG
IMG_1648.JPG

Front suspension components

At some time in its life the wheel cylinders, idler arm and tie rod end got serviced. All other parts are in an unmolested state. Lots of details to document. Bolts, nuts, markings, cotter pins etc...

Unfortunately, all ball joints were toast...

The driver side strut rod was bent and it appeared possible due to someone jacking the car up..ugghh....So a replacement was found...
DSC02431.JPG
DSC02432.JPG
DSC02433.JPG
DSC02434.JPG
DSC02435.JPG
DSC02436.JPG
DSC02437.JPG
DSC02438.JPG
DSC02439.JPG
DSC02440.JPG

Upper control arms...People have debated whether they were natural or painted black. The consensus they were all natural steel. Some say bare steel and some say bare steel with a light cosmoline coat. The black paint on these arms seemed to be added later in life and I think it was done when a previous owner added magnum 500 wheels.
DSC02977.JPG
DSC02978.JPG
DSC02979.JPG
DSC02980.JPG
DSC02981.JPG
DSC02987.JPG
DSC02988.JPG
DSC02989.JPG

Original UCA's were degreased, eval rust, and wire wheeled. After that some elbow grease with steel wool brought a more real finish look. NOS ball joints were used along with NOS arm bushings. Original bushing sleeves were cleaned up and reused. The grease cup with PN's and logo's are new ones from Frank Badalson along with the break away Zerk fittings....Original try castle nut was phosphated.

As far as the final finish look I went with the one that made more sense to me. Which was natural steel with a light cosmoline coat.
IMG_1650.JPG
IMG_1651.JPG
IMG_1652.JPG
IMG_1653.JPG
IMG_1654.JPG
IMG_1695.JPG
IMG_1696.JPG

Lower control arms were done in the same process of the UCA's above....Originally they were dipped in cosmoline up to the level of the rivet nearest to lower ball joint end. Mine still had the dip lines present when they came out of ER. So I just made note of that and mimicked that. The Original shafts heres cleaned up and reused(what a pain to remove the sleeve). The bushings are NOS and the bumpers are NOS.

The strut rod washers came from Bill Rolik. The Strut rod bushing and sleeves are NOS and have the correct sized font wording "FRONT" on them. The Torsion blocks and adjusters were plated by Bill Meerholz...TA plated the original sand cast washers for the pivot shaft. The pivot shaft nut and strut rod nuts are unrestored, just cleaned up in eval rust....

###Notice the direction of the sags/runs of the cosmoline###
They were dipped up to the level shown so the runs/sags go towards the torsion end....Process shown in the next post
IMG_1668.JPG
IMG_1669.JPG
IMG_1670.JPG
IMG_1671.JPG
IMG_1672.JPG
IMG_1673.JPG
IMG_1674.JPG
IMG_1675.JPG
IMG_1676.JPG
IMG_1677.JPG

Last edited:
NOS Lower ball joints were found but these are a superseded number...Correct period part but not the original 69 casting number. Still on the hunt for the correct ones but until then these are better than any new junk...Soaked in ER and some steel wool brought them back to original finish..
IMG_1655.JPG
IMG_1656.JPG
IMG_1657.JPG
IMG_1658.JPG
IMG_1659.JPG
IMG_1660.JPG
IMG_1661.JPG

Idler arm....I was unable to locate an NOS but I did find a near mint original. Degreased it and soaked in ER and some steel wool to get back to original cast finish...Coated with clear cosmoline same for most of the natural cast suspension parts...

The two "bumps" and the side rib along with casting numbers are distinct look of originals...
IMG_1663.JPG
IMG_1664.JPG
IMG_1665.JPG

Justin everything is absolutely top notch and moving fast!!! I'm in awe every time I read your thread!!!

Correct original strut bushings....The repops have the "front" on them but a 3rd of the font size as the originals...Also, careful with some NOS bushings the font may be the same but the bushing width is not the same.....
IMG_1684.JPG
IMG_1685.JPG
IMG_1686.JPG

More LCA ****....Struts rods had a heat treat appearance and I mimicked that. All original hardware. Pivot nut very distinct markings, notice the 2 dots and the rest are single dots.

Original sand cast washers has the sand molding edge feature...
IMG_1687.JPG
IMG_1688.JPG
IMG_1689.JPG
IMG_1690.JPG
IMG_1691.JPG
IMG_1692.JPG
IMG_1693.JPG
IMG_1694.JPG

UCA hardware came from Bill Rolik and is the correct finish and look.

Spindle hardware was sent out for phosphating...
The upper ball joint originally had the sand cast washer shown below. The lowers did not. TA plated these washers...
IMG_1697.JPG
IMG_1698.JPG
IMG_1699.JPG
IMG_1700.JPG
IMG_1701.JPG
IMG_1718.JPG

I located a pair of NOS wheel cylinders and these are correct PN's. Even being NOS I sent them out to get stainless sleeves. I have had NOS ones in the past that leaked...Covers are NOS which came with the WC's...Special thanks Greg for these!

Notice what bleeder screws should look like?

Btw for note odd number driver side, even number passenger side for all paired parts based on the last digit...

Original bolts with correct marking were phosphates...
IMG_1702.JPG
IMG_1703.JPG
IMG_1704.JPG
IMG_1705.JPG
IMG_1708.JPG

These are NOS brake hoses and a matched pair but not the correct year...Still on the hunt for the correct ones with dates but these will have to do..
IMG_1719.JPG
IMG_1720.JPG
IMG_1721.JPG
IMG_1722.JPG
IMG_1723.JPG

Original backing plates were sent out for a special type of phosphate. Done by a guy in California.
These are no doubt the original plates. Whats interesting is the date stamps....
IMG_1725.JPG
IMG_1726.JPG
IMG_1727.JPG
IMG_1728.JPG
IMG_1729.JPG

Spindles were cleaned up in the same manner as the other parts above. I have seen varying finishes on these and I like the one I decided upon...

The pics make them look different than what they actually look....It is not cosmoline but a special type of heat treat with a chemical...

The foam gasket is from DMT
IMG_1709.JPG
IMG_1710.JPG
IMG_1711.JPG
IMG_1712.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back