• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you get rid of squirrels

My BIL had a house in TN close to Dollys place and the squirrels were thick. They came on the deck and would chew on the window frames and wooden shutters. I repaired the windows 2 times but the little bastards just kept coming back no matter what we tried. I finally got some of this stuff from Tractor Supply as a last resort and it worked. Sprayed the deck and around the windows and they quit chewing on the windows. They have it in spray cans, gallon jugs, and squirt bottles online.

1708629241492.png

My BIL had a house in TN close to Dollys place and the squirrels were thick. They came on the deck and would chew on the window frames and wooden shutters. I repaired the windows 2 times but the little bastards just kept coming back no matter what we tried. I finally got some of this stuff from Tractor Supply as a last resort and it worked. Sprayed the deck and around the windows and they quit chewing on the windows. They have it in spray cans, gallon jugs, and squirt bottles online.

View attachment 1614172
Excellent - I will try this with my steel mesh thoughts … Thx!

Here's my damage And "My little Buddy".
20190318_130208.jpg
Those boards are 16'
20230721_113339.jpg
20200506_153331.jpg

Last edited:

"How do you get rid of squirrels..."

Usually at gunpoint - I tell them to climb back in their (insert import clown car brand here) and get the fluck
off my property; that usually does the trick.

(Get X'd leans over and whispers something in Ed's ear, frown upon his face...)
(Ed, now red-faced) Oh - you meant the actual tiny, four-legged furry kind? My bad.
Those, I use snake shot out of a 22LR.
Nevermind what I said earlier - especially if you receive a subpoena. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I have an Owl. You have to constantly move him around or the woodpecker figures out he's fake!

View attachment 1614051

Oh man, I want to try that! I can see it being a competitive league sport.

My brother-in-law had a squirrel problem (out here they like chewing up cedar decks and gazebos) and his solution was the havahart live trap. When he trapped one, he'd paint their butt orange and release them in a nearby waterway. I asked him why the paint and he said that way he'd know if he got a repeat offender. I asked him, 'Then what? Snuff it like you should have the 1st time?' He got a blank look and had no answer. I still laugh about those squirrels running around with an orange ***. Of course my plan was to trap some squirrels, paint their butts orange, and release them in his yard 'cause that's how I roll. But I'm too lazy for that. Unwanted critters around here tend to pass from lead poisoning.
Tie that in with some Skeet Shooting!

Wow!l True to FBBO form and constitution - you never know what you’re going to get when you start a thread like this. The pepper and the pellet solutions are the only thoughts that I could use here. I ended up scooping out the pepper I put in early am because after putting it around I was unsure of what effect it would have on the that young Japanese Maple when dissolved into the soil. This tree is in a large pot so it’s not going to just disappear - it’ll reside in the soil. So seems the pellet gun may be it. It’s unlikely anybody would see me smoke these guys - and there’s only two. I just didn’t really want to do that. My wife - from Saigon - had never seen anything like these guys and really likes to watch them run around. If you’ve ever been to Saigon you’d know there’s like zero room for any wildlife of any kind and if there were it would be eaten by humans in very short order. I don’t have a bleeding heart that way - My place is a condo but I reside on the outskirts of the project. There’s a huge nature preserve below me but a bit away to where I’ve had the occasional skunk & possum which I’ve dispatched in more humane ways - I didn’t kill them - but let’s just say the sewer system is more populated now days. It’s just these two little pricks that appeared in the last year that have pissed me off and have to go. The other one that disappeared after so many years I didn’t like but he never did this digging thing. We have coyotes up the ying Yang around here but they don’t bother me. I’ve no ankle biter pets or little kids, I’m not in any way afraid of them and have nothing at stake. Besides there’s no way to get rid of them with that nature preserve below me. As I’m thinking maybe I could cover the bases of those potted trees that are the main recipients w/something impossible or very difficult for them to get thru and will allow water to seep thru for the plants….. maybe metal mesh … hmmm
Depending on distance, shot placement and which pellets you use, the Whisper will take out Coyote's too.

You country boys are bound and determined to see me doing time here… It’s waaay more legal and accepted here in LA to off humans than any form of critters. I’d probably get 10-15 w/no parole for taking out a couple of squirrels…..

But here’s my first attempt at defense and I’m mounting an offensive operation as soon as I can get the “stuff”….. Thoughts?

IMG_1661.jpeg

I'll post a serious suggestion, for a change. Use a have-a-heart trap. Use peanut butter or bird feed as a lure. Capture the critter. Release in another area far, far away. Maybe in Nancy Pelosi's property. Or Gruesome Newsome's property.

hears a few options get that LA DA on your ***...

20 ga Wingmaster w/#7 bird shot, lead even that'd really get you time

12 ga 18" w/00 buck :poke:

1911 .45 acp Stainless II w/jacketed hardball

any or all would certainly do the job, may waken the neighbors

or the pellet rifle 1200ft per/sec, scope dead on
with .177 copper, good, silent but deadly for 75ft-100ft or so

Guns shotguns pistols Kimber 1911 Stainless II.JPG

Last edited:
Funny story from my old hood: Two neighbors next to each other with a tall fence and hedge between them such that they could not see each other. Neighbor #1 took to feeding grey squirrels and there were TONS of them. Neighbor #2 was a perfectionist of his garden and lawn and did not like all the peanuts being buried in yard, so he bought a really nice air rifle and his new obsession became shooting squirrels. He took out literally, hundreds of them... and it was about all he would ever talk about. This went on for about 5 years until Neighbor #1 passed, and as much as anyone knows, he never found out about it.

used to use a pellet gun with a scope for years but switched to a 16 gauge with 8 shot just need to point in the general direction, just easier and won't reach my neighbors houses or buildings. was outside and heard a couple robins going crazy, a damn red squirrel took a baby from there nest the s.o.b. was running around with it in its mouth, never thought those little basterds would do that. blew that guy up into the tree about 6 more feet to its final resting place in the crotch of a few branches. baby bird bit it too but i think it was already dead.

Auto Transport Service
Back