• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

hurst shifter questions

Mike in Boston

Local time
2:27 AM
Reaction score
looking to put a 4 speed pistol grip in my 67 charger with console.
What is the difference, if any, between the "non console" and the "console" shifters other than the actual handle itself?
are the hurst 4 speed shifter mechanisms the same for all of there shifters?

could I buy a used "hurst 4 speed off ebay, say, for a chevelle, mount it to my A833, & build my own "console-bent" handle?
TRying to piece this together without breaking the bank

the shifter mechinisms all all the same acroos the mopar line. not sure about ones from other makes

Some years like the 69, the shifter slips into the mechanism. Not sure what years exactly, but some shifters bolt to the mechanism.

I will weld the handle in if I have to, but I'm concerned the 3 bolt pattern on the mechanism to trans will be different ?
Also what is that bracket I come across on some of the shifters but not all. Does the mechanism bolt right up to the 3 bolt triangle on the a833, or is there a body specific bracket I should look for also

check with Brewers...you can call them, theyre accessible and helpful. i was told that you have to change the shift rods or you'll hit the dash going from 2nd to 3rd. and if the trans is an earlier one like mine is the shifter doesn't bolt in. good luck but def call Brewers.
http://www.brewersperformance.com/

I'm not an "expert", but I have a pistol grip & have replaced the linkage. My guess is that the Hurst shifter mechanism is Chrysler-specific, though I'm not 100% positive. There are SEVERAL different shifters which are bent in different ways & are different lengths (depending on the car, console or not, etc.). The E-body shifters are very short. My b-body console shifter is almost 3 ft. long with several big bends in it. That bracket you see on some A-833's I "think" is for E-bodies. I'm sure that some have two mounting locations & others have only one mounting location (I have three A-833's). Because of that, I'm 99% sure the shift rods are different.

My suggestion to you is to take a look at the different shifter arms (hopefully at a show when you have your car there) and figure out which shifter is closest to fitting. Get the correct A-833/shift rods (B-body mounting almost for sure.... and I think that is the mount you see on ALL A-833's) then cut/weld the shifter as needed (under the console where you can't see it) and you're good-to-go.

I'm sure others have more specific info than I do & Brewer's is definitely a good company to call.

Hurst competition or competition plus are all the same mounting to trans bracket (mopar chevy, whatever), depending on application they can have different arm lengths (example, 1970 b body has longer reverse arm) and also different linkage depending on year and make of car.

I have a spare that originally came out of my 69 Chevelle, then went into my GTX for 10 years, now I have the correct 1970 only version in the GTX.
It's just sitting on a shelf waiting for another car.
If you need it let me know, comes with linkage.

Last edited:
I'm no expert either. There are 3 different shifter locations A body, B Body and E Body. A bodies are halfway up the tail shaft, NOT sure if tail shaft is shorter. B Body is near side cover and E body is near rear of tail shaft. Some trans' have dual B/E mounts. All trans linkage is different between bodies. There is an aluminum plate that bolts to trans then you bolt shifter to that. In ads for shifters on ebay I see ads that say Pistol grip only Looks the same as bolt on shift lever, somebody else should have the answer what's the difference to that. Some shifters come with stop bolts, they come out of the front and back to keep from over shifting, I think. Then there are plug in sticks don't know anything about them. I think you would limit the number handle to choose from those.

Awesome, thanks for the help everyone. Looks like I've locared a shifter mechanism. I will most likely find a used pistol grip handle from a non-console car and a console-car round ball handle and splice them together under my console out of sight.
There is a console b body pistol grip on ebay for 1900.00 bucks :BangHead:

Auto Transport Service
Back