• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Loud and scary noises coming from my 440...

Yep, tear it down. You are pretty much there so no reason to stop now. It's really just cleaning and measuring, which doesn't cost a lot. If this engine is too screwed up maybe you can find a good runner to detail and drop in. Even some of those motor home 440's can be good after a gasket and soft plug rebuild.

Any updates? We are all interested.

yup...my car sat apart 2 years when my 2 were little ones...

I'm not a mechanic and I've followed this blog since it started. Now I think that at some point you probably just have to give it up and walk away from it. Look after the little woman for the time being and maybe try again sometime later to figure this out.

Well, Ill tear thing apart a little bit more and see if i find anything. If the babbitt on the cam bearing is wiped off. Ill need to buy an installation/removal tool. Something i can ask for for Christmas maybe. Ill probably continue to focus on interior and suspension after i find this gremlin. I just dont want to give up yet, being that i must be close to finding the issue. If i havent already.

Heres the timing set off. No marks on the block or cam gear to speak of. Another dead end. Also checked the freeze plugs, all snug. Nothing seems to be rubbing.

I did take a peak at the number two and five rod bearings (the only rods accessable at the time) and they looked to be in much better shape than the main bearings.

1003132140.jpg1003132141.jpg

Quick test ... A previous poster suggested some build up of bearing material inside the oil pump ... use your priming tool and spin the oil pump to see if the noise is coming from there.

Quick test ... A previous poster suggested some build up of bearing material inside the oil pump ... use your priming tool and spin the oil pump to see if the noise is coming from there.

I've spun the pump many times as fast as my drill will go. And I've never noticed any odd noises. Always good pressure, never any strange vibrations or whining.

I couldn't hear the noise when I played the video. I don't know why there was no sound. Anyway, Did you install the bellhousing inspection cover when you put the car together? Do you have an aftermarket converter? I found when using other than the stock converter, the bolts on the converter hit the back of the inspection plate and make an awful racket.

I couldn't hear the noise when I played the video. I don't know why there was no sound. Anyway, Did you install the bellhousing inspection cover when you put the car together? Do you have an aftermarket converter? I found when using other than the stock converter, the bolts on the converter hit the back of the inspection plate and make an awful racket.

Inspection plate has been missing since I bought the first car in 2006. Same motor and trans, never had a plate. It has an aftermarket converter made by CVC. Have no idea the spec's, but it's always worked fine with the hardware currently in it. Nothing rubbing in the trans-motor connection.

Have you considered that it could be the transmission input shaft making the noise? Mine was screeching once, and found it was low on fluid, sounded like a noisy power steering pump.

Have you considered that it could be the transmission input shaft making the noise? Mine was screeching once, and found it was low on fluid, sounded like a noisy power steering pump.

Well it was brought up before that it was low on fluid. A couple quarts maybe. So transmission low is certainly a possibility. But I tore it down and the pump looks good. No damage or markings on any thing. That's why I've turned back to the motor. And initially, it all sounded like it was coming from the motor anyway.

You can't give up on this. the only other thing that makes sense is in the converter/flex plate area. I am out of ideas if it is not the thrust bearing or the Cam Gear, other people mentioned the Oil Pump, bushing and you have checked the main bearings. which do look skuned. The last one is the end cam bearing at the back of the block, look to see if the end bearing is trashed or melted. also if the oil oil lines up with bearing.. If that shows nothing then i am stumped...........

- - - Updated - - -

Well, Ill tear thing apart a little bit more and see if i find anything. If the babbitt on the cam bearing is wiped off. Ill need to buy an installation/removal tool. Something i can ask for for Christmas maybe. Ill probably continue to focus on interior and suspension after i find this gremlin. I just dont want to give up yet, being that i must be close to finding the issue. If i havent already.

Heres the timing set off. No marks on the block or cam gear to speak of. Another dead end. Also checked the freeze plugs, all snug. Nothing seems to be rubbing.

I did take a peak at the number two and five rod bearings (the only rods accessable at the time) and they looked to be in much better shape than the main bearings.

View attachment 144003View attachment 144004
Cam gear looks fine and so does block face. Was the oil slinger hitting or on backwards?

NO\o slinger shoots me down lol, however do you have shots of the back side of the timing chain? I ask because there looks like chewed up bubble gum on the lower plug near the fuel pushrod. maybe chain gear to cam not flush and hitting edge of block there making that hideous screeching noise? and PS get an oil slinger, and while you have the block apart cuz you will be rebuilding it now with those messed up bearings clean off the excess casting in front there at the distributor shaft not a big deal but clearing out the rough metal casting will help oiling. Good luck!

The slinger oils the timing chain and the back of Cam gear. Also it splashes oil into the Push rod for the fuel pump. I hope for you that the problem is this. You will have to replace the front seal and the timing chain is their is any sign of wear or discoloration, an absolute must. Get yourself a set of coated bearings.

Auto Transport Service
Back