• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

new from california and alternator upgrade question

inthe9s

Local time
1:04 AM
Reaction score
Hello trere everybody, i am the driver of a 66 satellite from Hayward ca, ive had it for over 30 years and do most all my own work on the car. Exception includes widening the rear wheel well tubs, narrowing the rear axle housing and axle shafts and the finish welding of my spring perches because i dont have a welder strong enough to weld them.
The car now has some bias ply N - 50 i5's on 10 inch wide rims and they dont rub anymore.

I want to upgrade my alternator because its gone bad and i want to know what alternator is an easy install and cost effective but is an upgrade from the stock one which discharges at 800 rpm idle speed and lights are dim at idle. Id like to change that with the upgrade if possible

Welcome. Match the alternator to your power requirements, but ensure your wiring and connections are up to the task. If not, results may be nasty.

Welcome. Match the alternator to your power requirements, but ensure your wiring and connections are up to the task. If not, results may be nasty.
my wiring is oversized, well routed and secured, protected with appropriate fuses and links and the bulkhead connector no longer has anything drawing alot of amperage thru it. Im getting a high amp alternator mostly because my lights are dim at idle and my ammeter shows discharge at idle. This may be normal for mopars but im not living with this. i figure a higher amp alternator will ALSO put out a higher charging voltage at idle than my old original alternator.and it is the higher idle voltage that i actually want. It just seems that this is a characteristic of modern alternators and while i really dont need alot more amps, ill get them anywayswhen i get my newer style alternator.

The normal fix for the dim headlights is to add relays to both low & high beam circuits.... By adding relays the lights get full alternator voltage, the load on the bulkhead connector head light switch & floor dimmer switch is greatly reduced...

Contact member @Crackedback for a plug & play relay kit..

I see the part number for the alternator and it says its from a forerunner but what year?
and thank you very much for the link!
I think it's early 90's like 92... It needs a V groove pulley...

I recently purchased the AR Engineering bracket kits posted above and Denso alternators for both my B bodies. I have one installed and really like it so far. They put out 14 volts at idle and 14.2v at cruise.

Welcome from NY!
We gotta see this tubbed '66 with N50s that's "in the 9's".

:xscuseless:

Welcome from south of you on the central coast. When I had my Challenger, an easy upgrade I read about through Mopar Action in the early 90's was to get a unit from a K-car. Still the usual Mopar case and appearance, just need to switch the pulley. Think it was close to 80a. Took care of the dimming/flashing at night when the lights were on and using the signals.

Welcome from NY.

I've used a 60 Amp newer style alternator with dual fields from the 70's to mid 80's.
Take your pick from RockAuto or similar.
I also convert to a modern solid state regulator which requires running the extra field wire and a new plug.
I've bought newer style conversion engine harnesses for both cars which come with the correct plug and extra wire already in the harness.
This way you can replace with standard parts.
They work well for me it you really don't need a 100 amp alternator.

1692818976694.png
1692819375536.png

Auto Transport Service
Back