• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil Pans

Duck

Local time
9:52 PM
Reaction score
I have 1973 440 engine in my 1968 Coronet R/T ( bought the car this way) and the oil pan drain plug leaks. It is a oversize plug already. I've been looking for a new or used pan, but it says 66-72 are the same. Is a 1973 different??

depends on if you want a stock replacement type pan or an aftermarket race type pan.

Just a stock replacement. I did find the 402 on the pan, just found out they were numbered

I guess I will have to settle for a after market I can't find a used one. Any thoughts, Classic Industries has a 402 for 440's ??

Ebay has them, and also 440source.com, and the 402 pan holds 6 quarts.

the 402 pans are 5qt and make a good stock replacement. the '70-71 six-pak/street hemi 6qt afermarket isn't bad either.

I have 1973 440 engine in my 1968 Coronet R/T ( bought the car this way) and the oil pan drain plug leaks. It is a oversize plug already. I've been looking for a new or used pan, but it says 66-72 are the same. Is a 1973 different??

1973 and up BBody you will need the 971 pan... the change is the Kframe clearance at the front of the pans sump.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.rosevillemoparts.com/reference_enginetrans3.php

Does the 402 hold 5 or 6 quarts?? everything I've seen says 5 quarts????

Mine has a slight drip. New plug magnetic. What is the best smutch to use at oil change time. Locktite help?

I had to use a liquid thread sealant on my drain plug on a new pan. Came with a copper gasket/washer that didn't help also tried the nylon ones leaked like crazy. It was leaking around the threads and I don't want to use any kind of thread tape or something that can be sucked up in the engine or clog up the pickup so ended up doing that.

I had to use a liquid thread sealant on my drain plug on a new pan. Came with a copper gasket/washer that didn't help also tried the nylon ones leaked like crazy. It was leaking around the threads and I don't want to use any kind of thread tape or something that can be sucked up in the engine or clog up the pickup so ended up doing that.
Was it Loctite? What color?

Weld a nut on the outside of the pan. New surface, fixed
Doug

I have an old pan lying around if it helps.

11.12.13 001.jpg 11.12.13 002.jpg 11.12.13 003.jpg

That's the "murder" pan! Lol!

I've also learned the sumps are not the same either. I had a 699 pan and changed to a 971 and had to do some bending of the sump and cutting of the pan to make it work.

Auto Transport Service
Back