• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Real or Not Roadrunner RM21

Bigboat34

Local time
12:03 PM
Reaction score
RM21 vin no Fender tag Have not found Broad cast sheet yet

image2[593].jpeg

Is there any evidence that leads you to believe it has been VIN swapped?

Last edited:
Mine has no fender tag also.
Are you happy with the car?
When you bought the car was it presented as numbers matching?
Here's mine with no fender tag and I'm happy with it.
I replaced many panels and parts, so it is not original and quite a few car of this vintage have had body parts replaced.

100_0206.JPG

Determined by vin. If other numbers on rad support and rear trunk rail match, it’s a rr.
Fender tag and broadcast sheet will primarily get you list of options car came with, but do have partial vin to check.

Ps. Garage way to neat and clean. I’m jealous.

Do 68's have partial VIN body stampings?

I thought they had SO number stampings.

I'm not Road Runner savy, but doesn't the M designate it as so... like a Super Bee's WM does? Only Bee's got WM, I presume the same goes for Road Runners getting RM only...

Yea 68's only has the SO numbers on the body which matched the fender tag last 6 digits. Without that, it is strictly dependent on the VIN tag and that is about it for a 68 model year car. I'd say if it doesnt show any suspision of VIn tag swapping, it seems to be a Roadrunner. Unless its a true numbers matching car with Vin stampings on the block and trans which happend somewhat mid year at certain plants, it is what it is at that point.

'68 will generally have a partial VIN number stamped on the rear of the engine and top of the trans bellhousing, just West of the oil pressure sender if you want to see if the drive train is "correct". As noted above this was a mid year "addition" though.. so may or may not be there.

...and technically still wouldn't rule out swapping an engine and the VIN tag to an RL car for instance.

...and now we get into "evidence".

Torque boxes? Welds look factory?

RR standard equipment that differs from RL cars, especially hard to swap things.

Unless its a true numbers matching car with Vin stampings on the block and trans which happend somewhat mid year at certain plants, it is what it is at that point.
This has been discussed in prior threads. The stampings happened considerably earlier in some cases. I helped work on a one owner '68 Coronet R/T with the original (stamped) engine and trans. SPD was late Sept of '67.

Sure can't hurt the OP to look.

All good info here as usual! Nothing more I can add. ruffcut

First 7 digits of the VIN please....

Last edited:
Your question
"Real or Not Road Runner
Answer
Yes it is a RR based upon RM23
RM21 (coupe)
RM23 (Hard Top)
For Plymouth, Only "Road Runner" got the RM prefix vin in 68

'68-'70 RR VINs start with RM, as already mentioned. For '68-'69, 5th digit is H for 383, J for Hemi.
383 Coupes & HTs shouldn't have torque boxes, Hemi cars should - though a few exceptions (mistakes) have surfaced over the years.
T-bars should be .880" (383) or .920" (Hemi), should have non-self-adjusting 11" drums unless it has discs.
Rear springs are harder to differentiate except by part # or the Hemi's extra leafs.
Part # on trans is another clue, and Hemi cars have a few other indicators.
SO# on '68s @ rad support & L/R trunk seal flange will show on BS, usually found on backside of rear seat back, or behind glove box.
Congrats on the black cars; they're as sinister as it gets - and nice garage, BB34.

Your question
"Real or Not Road Runner
Answer
Yes it is a RR based upon RM23
RM21 (coupe)
RM23 (Hard Top)
For Plymouth, Only "Road Runner" got the RM prefix vin in 68

OP says "RM21" and the car IS a "21" body coupe.

What's the problem @kreauto ?? Explain the Red X.
There's a real problem with those red x's. I personally don't care, rather would just prefer to see a reason why. But many are just fat-finger hits. That's why I think a reason-reply must be entered if a disagree button is hit, or it doesn't register. Haven't heard from the OP, either since.

Auto Transport Service
Back