• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering slop to the max… (video included)

pjoll84

Local time
2:40 PM
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Here’s a video to show my dilemma… thanks for your help! PS… I was trying to say the adjustment screw ‍♂️

Had the same problem in my GTX i replaced the manual steering box and now its all good

First thing you say is the steering wheel and maybe column could be out of something different. That would be something to look at. Just because pitman arm isn’t moving, go up stream, make sure whatever has been transplanted is actually functioning correctly. Could someone have put a rag joint in it, or it needs a new rag joint. The other thing is you say manual steering box. Are you sure if it is manual steering. Just throwing out things I’d be looking at. Just my two cents worth.

First thing you say is the steering wheel and maybe column could be out of something different. That would be something to look at. Just because pitman arm isn’t moving, go up stream, make sure whatever has been transplanted is actually functioning correctly. Could someone have put a rag joint in it, or it needs a new rag joint. The other thing is you say manual steering box. Are you sure if it is manual steering. Just throwing out things I’d be looking at. Just my two cents worth.
Hi there, thanks for the suggestions.

The steering column looks to be factory to the van, paint matched etc. The steering wheel looks to be transplanted from an earlier dodge A van.

Definitely manual steering as there are no hoses coming off the steering box.

If I can't see what's happening with excessive play I like to find a helper to turn the steering back and forth while I watch what's going on. In your video it appears to be in the steering box. There's an adjustment on the box to tighten the play/mesh in the gears. A service manual for your vehicle is best for exactly how to adjust it. Good luck.

Watched your second video and made a comment. Id just replace it that is way too much play to me.

If I can't see what's happening with excessive play I like to find a helper to turn the steering back and forth while I watch what's going on. In your video it appears to be in the steering box. There's an adjustment on the box to tighten the play/mesh in the gears. A service manual for your vehicle is best for exactly how to adjust it. Good luck.
That's a hellava lot of slop right there.....steering box is either missing a tooth, or some serious adjustment is required.

Video from the underneath covering the a wheel and the steering gear would be useful - assistant will be required.... @pjoll84 :thumbsup:

Some play could be adjusted out but badly worn teeth could also bind when removing the play between them.

I don't think you can adjust that much slop out of the steering box. Buy a rebuilt or have yours rebuilt. Steering wheel looks like a 65-66 style car wheel with a 68 cap. Just my opinion ofcourse.

Last edited:
I agree with everyone's thoughts that it is the steering box.

As stated already, there is an adjustment screw that adjusts the play in the gears. I also agree with earlier thoughts that it may not be possible to adjust that much play out of it, but my thought is you have nothing to lose. If the adjustment doesn't work well enough, then you have to replace the steering box anyway, so you are not hurting anything by trying.

Good luck and let us know what the results are from the adjustment.

That much slop makes me believe that someone tried to adjust the box without understanding how to properly adjust it.

The gears that mesh together are tapered, and you have to "pull" them together to make them mesh. That means once you loosen the jam nut, the allen screw needs turned counterclockwise....not clockwise. If someone thought tightening the box up followed standard protocol (righty tighty....lefty loosey), then they probably loosened it up worse than what they started with.

Is the slop there regardless of steering wheel position? If yes then the box needs adjustment. If it’s only sloppy when centered and tight when turned then the box is worn out.

If the box is worn out and you tighten it while centered you might not be able to turn the wheel because of gear interference. In that case you would turn the allen screw in clockwise until the steering wheel can be turned lock to lock without binding...but make it as snug as possible all through the range. Once that is done and you return to center, you may still have some slop....but not nearly as much as what you are seeing.

Chances are that someone started messing with it because the steering was already sloppy and the box is worn out.

Hey everyone,

I appreciate all the help (and so quickly too) I found a yard in town that’s pulling a power steering box, pump bracket and pulley for $300 so I’m just going to go that route and I’ll post back once I ve installed it. Whilst I’m waiting, I’ll go out and see where the adjuster is at. I did read counter clockwise to make it tighter somewhere else so thank you for confirming

Nothing worse than a sloppy box. Get a fresh tight box and you'll be happy!

I'm not sure on your particular vehicle if you can use the same column when switching to power steering. On our B bodies there is a difference in column length and coupler between the two.

Auto Transport Service
Back